iPod case recommedations
Apr 14, 2003 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RunsWithScissors

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a new iPod 10GB w/remote and touchwheel and am looking for recommendations for a nice case.

Will mainly use my iPod at work and at home and wish to carry it with me in my pocket and perhaps on my belt. May use it working out but this is secondary as I am looking for a case that will protect it during everyday use in my pocket/belt or in my briefcase/backpack. May get a second case for workouts. Not concerned with showing it off with various clear cases like iSkin or iSee - heard they collect dirt too.

Been reading reviews and opinions on ipodlounge and wherever else I can find them on the web and it is difficult to sift through all the ads and uninformed opinions - help!

I have read stellar reviews on the cases listed below and am leaning towards [one of] them but still need to narrow down my choices and am open to options that I may not have seen before:

Marware CEO classic (http://www.marware.com/CLASSIC.html)
Reviewed on ipodlounge (http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...?id=53_0_6_0_M)
appeals to me because the cover is removable and so is the belt clip

Waterfield Sooper Dooper (http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/iPOD_INFO/i.htm)
ipodlounge review (http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...?id=23_0_6_0_M)
appeals to me due to design, materials, and accessibility.

I am somewhat torn over using a case with a clear plastic/vinyl cover vs one without - what are your thoughts? will this trap dust/dirt and scratch the ipod?

Marware sportsuit convertible (http://www.marware.com/Convertible.html)
ipodlounge review (http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...?id=30_0_6_0_M)

Still open to other suggestions...

any suggestion about how to carry headphones w/iPod? I plan to use ksc35 or portapros.

...As an aside - I found this little gem and thought I'd pass it on to you folks in the hope that it proves helpful: alternative to apple's extra ipod charger and less expensive
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you care to offer!

Apr 14, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm seriously considering the Headroom iPod bag - I just need something to hold my iPod cuz I think i'm pretty good at keeping it clean/scratch free.

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 21
good suggestions....thanks for taking time to post them.

I saw vaja and they are very expensive but quite nice. Headroom bag is not what I'm looking for right now, just want a case to put my iPod into to protect it.

Any other comments or suggestions would be welcome...

Can anyone comment on the cases I've already cited - perhaps from first hand experience with any of them?

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks Stan23 - I was seriously considering the iSee case but several posts on ipodlounge indicate that the new slimmer 10GB iPod does not fit well within that case so I don't want to take the chance on having my new toy rattle around. Too bad cuz it looks like a nice case...just not a good fit for my 10GB unit

Apr 15, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 21
your best bet- go to the apple store and try it out.

It comes with little rubber feet that you put on the case, to hold your slimmer ipod in place.

don't listen to those guys at ipodlounge, they are looney
rolleyes.gif

seriously, just read some of the moronic posts they have on there and you'll know as well.

Just a bunch of kids who sit around all day worrying about when their battery is gonna die out on them
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 21
actually, scissors, ive heard that the 10gb ipod fits great inside the 20gb isee with the correct spacers (included). just make sure you get the 20gb isee as oppossed to the 5gb isee. i have a 5gb ipod which i use with the 20gb isee w/spacers, and it works great. its a beautiful case, and i use it the same way you plan to: in and out of pockets and bookbags. the isee is plastic, not the rubbery stuff like the iskin so it wont collect dust. one last thing, i dont use the belt clip but i hear it REALLY sucks, easy to break. i was standing up for the isee over at ipodlounge: u can look for my comments under the handle "d33t3r" at ipodlounge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 21
good info - thx! You're right about too many kids over at ipodlounge which is why I'm asking these questions here.

No apple stores near me that I know of but this case is still in the running.

Any other comments on the Marware cases - the more I look at them the more I like them - can't decide which one to try...

biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 21
Looked at the iSee at MacworldSF and wanted to pick one up (it was discounted), but the belt clip is really weak (in fact it was broken on the first display model they showed me). If you want to use your iPod on your belt at all, I'd avoid the iSee.

I went with the iGlove which adds some bulk, but definitely protects it while not covering the controls. Since the seams are on the outside not only does it avoid scratching the iPod, it acts as a leather buffer should it fall off your belt (which has happened here). I watched mine bounce a couple of times in horror, but the iPod survived fine. Well built.

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 21
RunWithScissors,

I've been using the CEO case for several months. It pretty much everything I'd ask for in a case. I particularly like the belt clip because it has a small lip at the bottom of the clip that keeps it from slipping off my belt.

The case is beautifully made.

Apr 15, 2003 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
I'm seriously considering the Headroom iPod bag - I just need something to hold my iPod cuz I think i'm pretty good at keeping it clean/scratch free.

The Headroom iPod bag is rather large. It's designed to hold the iPod and an amp. I have it, but never use it, for that reason. Instead I've been using an iSee, which I like very much for my 5 gig. Unfortunately, the newer 10 gig I have does not fit very well.........there's a bit of extra room inside.
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 21
thanks for the feedback everyone!

Blessingx - I looked at the iGlove - it looks very nice. My only concern is the belt clip as it looks similar to one that I have on a cell phone case which does not really grab well.

alanz - could you please answer some questions about the CEO case for me? Do you have the CEO classic or the CEO Glove (I assume you have the classic)? Do you find the plastic overlay to be good/useful/non-intrusive or just in the way? How is the plastic overlay alignment with controls and does it obscure the screen at all? I have some concerns about this and that is one reason why I am considering the super dooper case as it does not have any plastic over the iPod face and just protects it with a flap. How easy is it to use the Classic with the flap attached? How good is the fit - pictures of the CEO Glove give the appearance of better fit than with the CEO classic - any comments? How do you use it - on belt, in pocket, in bag - working out or just walking around or on a desk? Have you used any other cases?

Joe - thanks for the feedback on the iSee - again my concern on fit with newer 10GB leads me to consider this as a second choice and looking to other cases for everyday/primary use.

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by RunsWithScissors
thanks for the feedback everyone!

Blessingx - I looked at the iGlove - it looks very nice. My only concern is the belt clip as it looks similar to one that I have on a cell phone case which does not really grab well.

I actually had to loosen up the clip a bit at first because it was so tight. I've never had it fall off on when my belt. Sometimes I clip it on my front pants pocket and a couple times my jacket caught it and pulled it out when I was getting out of my car.

Also you may notice a little rubber firewire/jack cover in the photos. I actually lost mine and contacted them about it and they sent out a replacement for free.

Great product and service.

I should have posted this review before. The only negative has been fixed by the above mentioned rubber guard.

Good luck with all the choices.

Apr 16, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 21
joelongwood, if you don't use your headroom Ipod bag, would you be interested in selling it? I've been kind of looking for a bag that would hold my META42 and my ipod, (right now, I'm using a CD player case, and it doesn't work too well...
redface.gif
) and the headroom bag looked pretty good. Thanks for that info on the I Glove blessingx, that's probably the best case I've seen in terms of simplicity and slip-in-and-go functionality.
smily_headphones1.gif

J.F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back