iPod cable interface
Feb 18, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #16 of 30
another huge problem with the pocketdock vs. sik cable is it doesn't work with most cases. it doesn' have grips to lock in to the iPod either. it's also fairly tall. While the sik cable probably isn't as good sq wise, its a heck of a lot more convenient if you are using a high-end case

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 30
The housing for both units is identical. But you are right, ultimately it requires more room because the 3.5mm connector is going to extend out further than the cable itself on the SIK unit.

However, the use of a right angle mini plug helps reduce the overall size about a 1/2". With that in mind they are fairly close, though the SIK cable will be a bit more flexible as well.

Like everything else in life all avenues have compromises. Better sound quality vs. convenience. An age old problem raises its ugly head once again.

Feb 18, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 30
hifiguy,
I don't think you understand me. The sik cable fits in any case for the iPod. The pocketdock does not. In fact, the pocketdock only works with cases listed on their page which is not many.
I and many of your customers would own high-end cases for the iPod such as the iVod for the iPod Photo or the 4G. We're probably the most likely candidates to buy products like yours that cost a premium. The pocketdock will not work with our case. Taking out the iPod from the case is inconvenient.
If you offered an option to have a version of the Sik Din with the cable removed, you would have a customer in people like me.
The housing is NOT identical. I could care less about how tall it is, but if it doesn't fit with my iVod case, it is not a solution for me. Please check posts regarding this issue and you will see that this is a common issue for maany people.

Feb 18, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 30
I must be missing something here. The SIK cable I am talking about has two cables exiting its docking connection. One has a 3.5mm stereo jack and the other is a FireWire cable. This is it http://www.sik.com/din.php. The PocketDock line out, http://www.thecablepro.com/detailPic...Type=1&cNID=91, has the same sized connector base.

Granted the aftermarket cable that people would use with the PocketDock would extend its length even more. With a right angle mini plug I don't think that difference would be more than 1/2" though. That may be too much judging by your comments.

Is there a different SIK cable you are talking about that has a lower profile?

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 30
I don't have the SiK cable here to compare, so I called and got the dimensions. You are absolutely correct. My memory must be playing tricks on me. The Sik unit is quite a bit shorter.

Pretty nifty the way you've routed your cable, you've really gotten things super compact, and with such a beefy cable.

I promise I'll do my best to avoid making any assumptions in the future. Thanks for posting the pics.

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 30
hifiguy,
If you could find a way to address this problem... perhaps with a modified sik din cable... I believe you would have a success on your hands.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #25 of 30
The PocketDock has another problem. It doesn't "snap on" to the iPod so it easily disconnects if you're trying to use it as a portable solution. The Sik Din does snap on.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 30
Wish hi-fi guy had an answer for us.

Feb 28, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #27 of 30
any ideas hifiguy?

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #28 of 30
I wasn't expecting perfection for $30, and I hope you weren't either. Labrat pointed this lack of click lock out to me after my first post regarding the SiK, PocketDock units.

Regardless of the fidelity a very short signal path implies, or the relative simplicity of the device, it apparently isn't for everyone. I feel there are more than a few improvements that would make the PocketDock more effective. It fills a gap, like the SiK cable, but inadequately.

For the time being each individual has to choose what best suits their needs.

Maybe we should get these two companies together.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 30
I got my Pocket Dock in. It is larger than the Sik Din. I have a Contour Showcase and the Sik fits through the dock hole in the case, no problem. The Pocket Dock doesn't. It says it will on their website, and you can force the case closed with the Pocket Dock connected, but doing so creates some bowing in the case. As for sound differences, I would give a cautious nod to the Pocket Dock, but the difference is very subtle. Also, as mentioned earlier, the Pocket Dock does not have a locking connector like the one on the Sik. When you start adding some weight by attaching a Y-Cable and a Firewire Power Cable, it wants to slip out of the iPod and becomes a major pain in the butt. If you already own a Sik, I would not recommend getting the Pocket Dock. The extremely small difference in sound quality just doesn't make up for all the inconveniences it adds.

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #30 of 30
Another issue of concern is that the Pocket dock appears to have some compatability issues with G4 Ipods.
Have tried the pocket dock with mine and there is static-like noise between tracks. No such problem with the Sik Din.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back