iPod Buffer issues with Apple Lossless
May 22, 2005 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nrbelex

Head-Fier
A little while ago, I put some long songs onto my 3G iPod in Apple Lossless but found that they would sometimes stop, stall or skip to a new song out of nowhere, even though the files themselves were fine. I think I read something about the iPod's buffer not being large enough to support the kbps but I could also be making that up (
confused.gif
). I wound up using 320 kbps MP3s and while the battery still goes down quickly and the files are still HUGE (Stairway to Heaven is 18.5 mb), I don't notice a difference on my E2C's. Anyway... I was just wondering if this is a common problem or just me.

~ Brett

May 22, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 2
I believe it's a common problem with the 3Gs. Although even the 1Gs played uncompressed there was worse problems there. 4Gs are better for ALACs. Because of comments of other members here, there appears to be big jumps in battery consumption between lossless and 320 AAC and 256 and 224 (again something about buffer size). I didn't test MP3s (should take less processing power than AAC), but you may want to try 224 AAC and see if you can tell any difference. On the iPod I can't. Also another opinion here. Anyone concerning the buffer gaps, you're not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back