iPod buffer effect?
May 7, 2004 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dxy56

New Head-Fier
I've had my iPod 3G 40GB player for a few months and enjoy it. I use it mostly in the gym while working out. I have noticed that from time to time, the music suddenly speeds up or even stops on its own..then it starts playing again. This happens on its own with no intervention from me and occurs after about 20-25 minutes of continuous playing.

Is this happening because the music buffer needs to be "refilled"? Or is it "refilled" continuously as the music is being played?

May 7, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 18
In my experience with a 2nd gen iPod, the music only stopped for a few seconds and then continued. I think it just takes a break to "refill" but I'm not sure. Interesting problem...

May 7, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 18
I've also got a 2G iPod and have noticed that there are pauses when the buffer refills. Sounds like a very different issue with the 3G firmware - weird. I've never observed any speed changes, just very brief pause of silence when buffer fills.

May 7, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 18
I think this is how it goes:

docking pods:
Refill everytime there's some space in the buffer. IE it should fill it up continues, while playing. The buffer shouldn't be empty at any point. I think it will load half file since v2.1 (but this is a maby)

Old-Style pods:
Should also refill the buffer constant, though only whole files (if file is <=32megs)

I don't remeber having long gaps, but maby like a second or two. Just barly noticable.

May 7, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Could it be gaps you notice are in the files and not the iPod's fault? Easy way to check is to rewind the song and try to hear the gap again. If gap is in the same spot, you should re-rip that song.

May 7, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 18
The 40 GB ipod should not have skip problems with AIFF/WAV/AAC/mp3 files.

The 2nd gen ipods would skip every 2 to 3 minutes if you play a WAV or AIFF files. I never had a skip problem with AIFF files on my 40 GB.

I have started to have a problem using the new Apple Lossless audio files. Sometimes it plays part of the song and then skips to the next and other times it has a slight hiccup 20 seconds into the song.

I believe all model should play mp3/aac files with no problem.

May 7, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm not talking about gaps between songs, that's normal. It's just every five or six (forgot the number..the iPod's broken so can't check) I'd hear the hard drive spin and there would be a pause. I'm pretty sure that was the music data being copied from the hard drive to the RAM part...or whatever. I'm not good with jargon.

May 7, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I'm not talking about gaps between songs, that's normal. It's just every five or six (forgot the number..the iPod's broken so can't check) I'd hear the hard drive spin and there would be a pause. I'm pretty sure that was the music data being copied from the hard drive to the RAM part...or whatever. I'm not good with jargon.

yeah, that shouldn't happen with a 40 GB ipod. sounds defective.

May 7, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Have you checked if gaps are random or at always at certain part of the song? Is very easy and quick to check if you rewind the song about 30 seconds and check for gaps. Occasionally some of my files have gaps on them but those can be fixed by re-ripping those songs from CDs. My iPod (3rd generation) doesn't randomly skip and if yours does, there's something wrong it with.

May 8, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 18
Pretty random. My mp3s play fine on the computer and other devices. It didn't randomly skip, just paused a few seconds between songs occasionally. My iPod's broken now though. Perhaps related, perhaps unrelated.
frown.gif

May 31, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 18
i think the 3G ipods fixed the buffer problem. your problem sounds similar to one i was having when i was using the external battery pack. if the dock connector (ie power source) was connected properly, the music would slow down and completely stop. so my hypothesis would be there could be some faulty connection btwn ur battery inside ur ipod?

May 31, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 18
make sure your using the lastest firmware and if its still a problem it could be an issue with how those tracks were encoded or it could just be a bunk player. i wouldn't tolerate a problem like that.

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #13 of 18
Often files encoded with VBR can be difficult to decode and cause playback speed problems. (Though I've never had a problem with LAME r3mix.) Do you have the problem when playing songs encoded by the iTunes built-in encoder? (AAC, Fraunhofer MP3, whatever.)

Sep 14, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
The 2nd gen ipods would skip every 2 to 3 minutes if you play a WAV or AIFF files. I never had a skip problem with AIFF files on my 40 GB.

I believe all model should play mp3/aac files with no problem.

I've got a 20 gig 2G pod, which i just filled with AIFF's and that would explain why at exactly every 2 minutes and 9 seconds I have to listen to a 3 second pause....

it's worse than the guy with the coughing fit who sits behind you at the symphony!!

it's worse than the old 8 track "click, change" in the middle of a led zeppelin tune!!

I'm current on all firmware but is there anything else that can be done to eliminate this issue? (besides buying a newer 40gig pod)

thanks,

Dave

Sep 15, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Pretty random. My mp3s play fine on the computer and other devices. It didn't randomly skip, just paused a few seconds between songs occasionally. My iPod's broken now though. Perhaps related, perhaps unrelated.
frown.gif

whats busted on it? does it give the "angry hard drive screan?

the "blips" could be caused by the hdd not having engouh "smooth' time to spin up, and read data properly. bumping a spinning hdd is of course BAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back