iPod battery won't charge
Jan 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bba1973

500+ Head-Fier
This issue is creeping me out. I bought an Upstart 900 mah battery for my iPod Photo, and it won't charge. I put it in correctly, but it won't charge at all with Rockbox, the Apple firmware, or disk mode. I've tried it with the old firewire charger, the new USB charger, and over USB to my laptop. The battery says it has a lifetime warranty so I might be able to get a new one. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks for reading.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let it charge a while and try toggleing the key lock switch in it

What's the key lock switch? I've let it charge for about 12 hours total, and still nothing. Right now, I've got a bigger problem. I took that battery out and put the original back in, but the white wire became disconnected from the new battery. I'm going to contact the seller to see if this lifetime warranty will be honored or not. I can't believe that happened. I was really, really careful with it. The old battery (the one in it now; stock Apple battery) still gets about 5 or 6 hours, but I was hoping to get closer to 8 or 9.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Does the old battery still charge? If so it probably is a problem with how the new one is connected.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Sounds like a faulty battery to me. Since you have mounted it correctly and tried every possible way to charge it.
Contact the dealer for a replacement.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the little switch that locks the keypad, think should be on the lop left

Oh, you mean the hold switch. Yes, I've tried charging it with it, without it, in Rockbox, in the Apple firmware, and in emergency disk mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the old battery still charge? If so it probably is a problem with how the new one is connected.

The old battery charges fine, but it only gets 5 or 6 hours out of my normal usage. I put the old one back in, and my iPod works fine. I just wanted more battery life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a faulty battery to me. Since you have mounted it correctly and tried every possible way to charge it.
Contact the dealer for a replacement.

It is faulty. Especially after that white wire got disconnected from the battery itself. When I had it in, I went into diagnostic mode and checked out the battery tool. Can't remember exactly where it was, but it said "60" with the new one and "440" with the old one. I'm assuming that's milliamps. If so, I got 60 out of the advertised 900, so it sounds like I got a lemon. Yesterday, I contacted the manufacturer and the ebay seller. No response yet...

Thanks for the help, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back