iPod Battery Warranty Extended by Class Action Lawsuit
Jun 3, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
hey head-fi'ers. Many of you may have gotten this notice already or even seen it in the news. A class action lawsuit against apple regarding the performance of the battery in the first, second and third gen iPods has been settled. The outcome? Free batteries for all! No, just kidding. Third gen owners who purchased their iPod brand spankin new before May 31st of 2004 whose batteries have died* a year after purchasing but before two years and who still have documentation of their purchase can send a request for settlement which could be one of four things: a new battery, actual battery replacement, 50% reimbursement of battery replacement which you have already done, or 50 bucks in apple store credit. first and second gen owners also have settlements but i havn't really read the details on it since i own a third gen.

anyway, you can read news on it if you search at news.google for apple settlement and you can download the official legal details and settlement information along with the settlement request form in pdf form from the following url. this is the pdf i recieved from some lawyer or something via email late last night.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/apahw..._ClaimForm.pdf

*dead battery is well defined within the legal document. if your battery lasts less than 4 hours at full use its considered dead for 3rd gens and less than 5 hours for first and second gens

to be totally honest, after all the racaus about the 3rd gen battery "dying" after 18 months i have to say i've been really happy with my 3rd gen. im running an official test again today but i think im still getting a good 7+ hours from my ipod and i only play high bitrate mp3s (which means high disk access/unit time) and my ipod is over 18 months old. what do you guys think? what about you first gen'ers? gonna dust off that dead ipod and give this settlement request a go or is your pod still rockin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back