ipod battery life with lossless
May 4, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 30gb ipod video. How long would my battery last with lossless compared to AAC? Just approximate....

May 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 42
I can't say exactly for the ipod video, but on my nano 2g it was certainly a big drop. Somewhere between 40-50% of normal. For the video ipod it'll probably be similar.

May 4, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say exactly for the ipod video, but on my nano 2g it was certainly a big drop. Somewhere between 40-50% of normal. For the video ipod it'll probably be similar.

so it doubled going from lossless to a compressed format (in this case AAC?)

May 4, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To be honest I'd assume the drop to be much worse on a video model because of the constant harddrive spinning.

May 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 42
I have a 5.5 gen Video Ipod. With Lossless I get around 2.5hrs if you dont ever touch it. With regular use less than 2 hours.
rolleyes.gif

Does make a good argument for high AAC use.

Oh no I said it! Im gonna regret this! I just know it?
etysmile.gif

May 5, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 42
is there an easier way to convert to FLAC than having it do it album by album? it doesn't even keep all the tags or song info for me anyways. do you think that rockbox would actaully increase the battery life for an ipod that uses lossless?

May 5, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you think that rockbox would actaully increase the battery life for an ipod that uses lossless?

no, i don't think it would. you could look into dbpoweramp for conversion. i believe rockbox does support alac, though.

May 5, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you actually tested that, trose? using rockbox doing an actual rundown test, people get 7 hours with flac.
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodRuntime
the actual firmware should be much better, certainly more than 2 hours. its rated to play video for 3.5 hours and you're claiming it only gets 2.5 with audio?

without rockbox. I use apple lossless with Itunes battery life is terrible!

May 5, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
without rockbox. I use apple lossless with Itunes battery life is terrible!

so have you done a complete rundown test?

May 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you actually tested that, trose? using rockbox doing an actual rundown test, people get 7 hours with flac.
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodRuntime
the actual firmware should be much better, certainly more than 2 hours. its rated to play video for 3.5 hours and you're claiming it only gets 2.5 with audio?

Very good point.

Video is much much more intensive. Most likely you have just bad charges.

Is there a reason you need lossless? With 320kbps MP3's I get about 10-12 hours. So unless you are 100% certain you can hear the difference, is it worth the battery life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back