Ipod back up help!!!!
Jan 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Noya

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
So I found that after about a year or a year and a half my ipod crashes and I loose everything I have on it.....the problem is that my computer that had all my itunes music library crashed so I lost everything from there......I don't trust computers or ipods anymore
wink.gif
so I like to backup my ipod now
I had someone back my ipod onto DVD discs....but I did that few months ago.....I need to find a way to back up my ipod on dvd's every few months....is there a way to do it on my own???or do I need to take it to someone???
where can I find people who do that???is there a way to back the ipod onto my personal hardrive? how do I do that without loosing the quality of the music???
Everything I have on my ipod is super important....it's music and tracks that I work with and I'm so scared I'll loose stuff when ever it is my ipod decides its time to crash
wink.gif

thanks!

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 32
Back the music up BEFORE you put it on your iPod. Create a folder on your harddrive called "To Backup". Whenever you add a track to your iPod, put it in there too. As soon as the To Backup folder reaches 4 gigs, burn it off to DVD-R.

See ya
Steve

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone!
So I found that after about a year or a year and a half my ipod crashes and I loose everything I have on it.....the problem is that my computer that had all my itunes music library crashed so I lost everything from there......I don't trust computers or ipods anymore
wink.gif
so I like to backup my ipod now
I had someone back my ipod onto DVD discs....but I did that few months ago.....I need to find a way to back up my ipod on dvd's every few months....is there a way to do it on my own???or do I need to take it to someone???
where can I find people who do that???is there a way to back the ipod onto my personal hardrive? how do I do that without loosing the quality of the music???
Everything I have on my ipod is super important....it's music and tracks that I work with and I'm so scared I'll loose stuff when ever it is my ipod decides its time to crash
wink.gif

thanks!

So basically you do not have the music in your pc, but only in your ipod. I recently purchased a used ipod and want to back-up existing files on it (it is a nice collection
wink.gif
). Faced with the same problem as you did, I did a bit research and found out that there some programs like ipodcopy, which can be used to back-up your ipod. Using these programs, you can have your music back again in your pc. They are not freeware though and I am looking for free alternatives, if there are any. Hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 32
The current release of the program I mentioned above claims to prevent itunes synching with your ipod when connected and thus avoiding the loss of your music files, performing backup first to your pc and synching with your ipod after that. This is where its name comes from. And no, I never tried this program or similar ones, as I said I am looking for freeware, but it sure sounds like the solution I am looking for. Obviously, I cannot be held responsible for any loss to your files, in case you use this product
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 32
artears: program looks interesting. Wonder how different this is from Copypod or other such programs available???

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 32
As I said, I have no experience with this program. I hoped, that someone who is more experienced would share his/her thoughts. Still waiting
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically you do not have the music in your pc, but only in your ipod. I recently purchased a used ipod and want to back-up existing files on it (it is a nice collection
wink.gif
). Faced with the same problem as you did, I did a bit research and found out that there some programs like ipodcopy, which can be used to back-up your ipod. Using these programs, you can have your music back again in your pc. They are not freeware though and I am looking for free alternatives, if there are any. Hope this helps.

senuti is the freeware you are looking for to get music from your ipod to your pc. google senuti to find the download

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 32
Thanks barrycro, unfurtanetely I am not a mac guy though. I use a pc with windows xp on it. Do you know any freeware for windows as well?

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ANAPOD EXPLORER is the way to go.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

I checked this one before, but the trial edition does not provide the feature I want (copying from ipod back to pc). I need either ipod edition or universal edition for this, and the cost is $25 for the first one and $30 for the latter. I guess, there is no freeware, which provides the feature of file transfering from ipod back to pc
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 32
Sometimes the ethical thing to do is pay for something. I know it hurts the wallet but...

Trust me, it's a steal at $25. The guys did a great job on the software. You also get lifetime support. None of this "renew for another year" crap like so many software companies love to do.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 32
A great program to copy stuff back onto your computer is called iPodUtil. It's a British program, I think, and it has a free trial which gives you most of the functionality...more than what you'd need for back up. The only bad thing is you have to click a dialogue box every 50 songs saying that you don't want to buy the program. Of course, if you do buy it, the program runs on its own
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back