ipod auto pause is driving me nuts
May 10, 2005 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DRuM

500+ Head-Fier
I use sony ex71s with my mini ipod. The connection is solid yet the auto pause comes on whenever it feels like it. I can't actually make it pause though by fiddling with the cable. I don't know why it does it but the auto pause is obviously over sensitive. Anyone know of some software to disable it? Someone on here linked me once to software which disabled the euro volume limiter so if there's something for auto pause as well that would be cool. Thanks.

May 10, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 9
borked ipod? mine doesnt do it (US/CAD iPod mini, 1st Gen).
even after falling a few feet (twice, almost had a heart attack when it happened... my wallet is already wasted, cant afford another now..)..

Tried upgrading the firmware? tried to reset? tried looking at the apple website for some answers for why?

May 10, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I believe auto pause is on 2nd gen 4gb minis.

May 10, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRuM
I believe auto pause is on 2nd gen 4gb minis.

Probably first gen too?

Is certainly on the 4G - although doesn't give me any problems...

Probably the easiest way around it - is to either use the ipod remote (i'm assuming that fits the mini??) so then you have a securer connection, else use a much flatter plug (the EX81 extension lies much flatter to the top of the ipod than the EX71 one does)

May 10, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, the headphone jack on my iPod seems to really require a hard shove on the plug for a good connection. Not so much an issue for me, as most of my usage is via line-out, but would probably get on my nerves if I used it more.

May 10, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 9
i know the feature exists as i tried it out, and it works when i pull out the headphones, but it never goes off unexpectedly. i have a 2nd gen mini. could be a headphone issue. try cleaning the connector in alchol or something, if that doesnt work, try it with some other headphones and see if it keeps happening. other than that, i have no idea. best of luck

May 11, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Jun 10, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 9
I've read some threads elsewhere about this, and the gist seems to be that auto-pause is triggered when the base of the headphone plug is a conductive disk of metal rather than insulating plastic, and when this touches the iPod case.

The commonly-discussed solutions are to insulate with, for example, transparent tape on one side or the other, or to in some way ensure a gap between the base of the plug and the iPod case.

Today I had pretty good success with ordinary typing correction fluid (AKA Wite-Out, though I used a generic brand): I painted it onto the conductive disk at the base of the plug, let it dry, and scraped off the imperfections with a knife. Then I plugged in and jiggled: no pause. Formerly these headphones would pause the iPod with the slightest touch. Hooray!

I am not very confident of correction fluid's long-term durability (and it doesn't have a lotta pizzazz either), so I have a bottle of MG Red Insulating Varnish on order to treat the rest of my headphone collection. There is also a product called Liquid Electrical Tape carried at some hardware stores that might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back