iPod as External Hard drive? Can it be done?
Feb 22, 2004 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm told that you can use the iPod as an external hard drive. How? When I plug mine in and open "My computer" it is there as another drive briefly, but then disappears and I can't access it. I've tried checking if it was just hidden or something, no-go. Any advice?

Thanks folks!

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 12
Do you have iTunes installed? In which case it will disappear until you check the 'use as drive' option in it. I would put a screen cap up here but my iTunes has died and I can't get it back despite a reinstall... and noone's answered my question re: iTunes database error
mad.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Well according to Dr. Will Gilbert, human genome scientist, all you have to do is "..Plug it in, drag, drop..".

A Genome in Your Pocket

You can search the web for "Ipod Genome "and there are hundreds (of probably the same artical) about how he stores his genetic code on his ipod for ease of portability and transfering it to other computers.

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Do you have iTunes installed? In which case it will disappear until you check the 'use as drive' option in it. I would put a screen cap up here but my iTunes has died and I can't get it back despite a reinstall... and noone's answered my question re: iTunes database error
mad.gif

I'm on a Mac so the files may have different names, but have you deleted the database and XML file (which likely aren't removed during uninstall) and reinstalled?

Feb 23, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 12
yes iPod works naturally as an external drive. A useful function but I wish more PC's had a firewire interface. You can even locate the music files on the player if you set your Explorer to see hidden files, then you can transfer them back to any PC. Just an easy way to get around Apple's paranoia. You still must use an interface program like iTunes or Ephpod to add music as it updates the iPod's internal music database.

Feb 24, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Does the same counts for the ipod mini?

Just to make clear what I mean: can I "drag and drop" data without any drivers or software installed?
I want to be able to transport files from one windows based pc to another.

Feb 24, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 12
If you have the appropriate cable to connect the iPod to a computer then you can drag-and-drop from the Windows Explorer panes directly to the iPod and iPod mini as though it were any oterh external HD. The key to playing back music is the the database file that contains the song/artist/album info that is updated every time you transfer files via iTunes, EphPod, XPlay, etc..

Regular computer data is stored in the root of the iPod directory while music is stored in a hidden set of folders on the drive.

Feb 25, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 12
One more thing you need to know. When the iPod is plugged in to your computer the hard drive activity on the iPod drains the battery like a small keg of beer at a frat party. Lesson: get everything lined up for your disk transfer, then plug in the iPod, then immediately unplug it after the transfer is completed.

Feb 25, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Suedama, if the iPod is connected via firewire (6 pin) or the new MiniPod is connected via USB or 6 pin firewire - the computer will provide power and the battery will not drain. Frankly, I added a firewire card to provide power and simplify file transfers on my 3rd Gen unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back