Ipod as a source....Am I killing my music?
Aug 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is better ACC 256kbps or lossless?

Lossless is better because it is just that, lossless. AAC 256kbps is compressed, where as lossless compresses it to the point where there is just all the needed data for untouched audio reproduction (from the standpoint of what was on the CD).

And the HD650 would not be ideal for portable ipod use and as you mentioned an amp, you would need one for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 29
would an ipod dock + 1/8 to rca work? (theres a line out on the back of the dock)

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 29
Aug 6, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 29
Try 192 AAC VBR. I find that sounds as good as lossless at a fraction of the file size.

See ya
Steve

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #20 of 29
iPod can be a decent enough source if you use variable compression lossy format. VBR MP3 is quite OK
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Best suggestion that I can make is to try a few different compressions and see which level you find acceptable.

I also support the line-out option ($20 is plenty good enough quality from Turbo etc, but not a store bought one).

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

which is better ACC 256kbps or lossless?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lossless is better because it is just that, lossless. AAC 256kbps is compressed, where as lossless compresses it to the point where there is just all the needed data for untouched audio reproduction (from the standpoint of what was on the CD).

I would suggest that for portable use, the AAC file is "better" because it will most likely sound indistinguishable to the lossless file at a fraction of the size.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #22 of 29
a couple people have mentioned buying docks from 'turbo', what would be different form this dock and the apple ipod dock (that comes in the ipod box)

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 29
I've put together a very decent portable (around the house) rig: iPod 4G+Hornet M+HD600+ALO Cryo Dock. From my limited experience (I am not a techie) I understand, that the weakest link in my rig is AAC encoding and I've ripped a few good quality CDs in lossless just to see how it is. The difference in quality is there, however I am having a hard time justifying the file size. Is it, like 5mgb vs 25 mgb per song, if I am not mistaken? I listen to classical mostly and I will have to make a decision, whether it is wortwile to re-rip my collection in lossless (about 500 CDs). What is your perception of a difference in SQ, AAC vs lossless? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

a couple people have mentioned buying docks from 'turbo', what would be different form this dock and the apple ipod dock (that comes in the ipod box)

The "turbo" dock, only uses the audio pins, all the other pins are by passed and in theory should give you a cleaner sound.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having a hard time justifying the file size. Is it, like 5mgb vs 25 mgb per song, if I am not mistaken?

Unless you're listening to uncompressed wav files (which is completely pointless), they shouldn't be anything like that big. Three minutes odd in flac or alac should be about ten meg.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamenal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your perception of a difference in SQ, AAC vs lossless? Thanks.

No-one else's perception matters - only yours. Personally I can't tell the difference between high-bitrate AAC and lossless, but how does that help you? Trust your own ears!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Flower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you're listening to uncompressed wav files (which is completely pointless), they shouldn't be anything like that big. Three minutes odd in flac or alac should be about ten meg.

3 minutes in FLAC is more like 16megs on the low end, 25 megs on the high end. ALAC doesn't encode as efficiently either.

256kbps AAC for a portable iPod should be plenty sufficient. It's already very hard to tell the difference between the two with a nice source, let alone with a portable source.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 29
Ok.....finished finding as many cds as possible, now converting to lossless

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 29
Agreed. An Ipod for the source doesn't necessitate the use of lossless unless you really want to. And, indeed, the size can greatly very depending on how the song needs it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 minutes in FLAC is more like 16megs on the low end, 25 megs on the high end. ALAC doesn't encode as efficiently either.

256kbps AAC for a portable iPod should be plenty sufficient. It's already very hard to tell the difference between the two with a nice source, let alone with a portable source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back