ipod (apple) customer support appreciation thread.
Jun 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
ok so here is the deal. i had my ipod touch break on me. the audio input was only allowing music to come out of one channel. so i contacted customer support. immediately i explained the problem and they sent a box for me to ship to apple. 2 days later i get an email stating they just shipped a new ipod for me. keep in mind when the audio input broke i made it worse by trying to fix it. i took the glass screen off and tried to see what the issue was. problem was that my input was fried. so apple regardless of my careless misuse replaced it with a brand new ipod. now that is what i call world class customer support.

share your stories or experiences.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 15
anyone else with golden experiences?

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 15
              Nope not me.  When I bought my 6th?(120gb) gen ipod at the apple store I went home and started putting all my music in it.  Itunes keeps getting error messages that it can't find the ipod, so I did a reboot on my ipod(press and hold menu and center button).  After 6 reboots, I finally uploaded all my music(60 gb at the time), then I started using it but all the music wasn't in it(it was still 115 or 117gb free space, can't remember).  Frustrated, I gave up, pack everything inside the box then went back to the apple store for an exchange(was only day 2 of owning it and had my receipt).  I told the employee(who was helping me and checking the serial # if it was not switched out) everything what happened and was told to bring my computer.  I told the guy that I only need an exchange and I'm not about to drive home 12 miles and back again in their store to prove them wrong.  I told the manager that I'll just take a refund and was told that he will have to charge me 15% restocking fee. Took the my money back then never looked back.  
              Be aware that I was very calm and pretty quiet about the event and in no way yelling and cursing at them even if I took the 15% restocking fee.
              To this day I still can't figure out why they couldn't have exchanged it.  Hate to pull out my race card(they probably think I took the new ipod and stuck my old one even though the serials match and I have my receipt) but that is the only reason that I can think off as to why they couldn't have just exchanged it.  That store was the last time I will buy my apple products.  I bought my ipod at Best Buy after that event since I know I will not be treated unfairly(they will just look at your receipt if it is within their 30 day return policy, check if the s/n on box matches the product, and you're good to go)

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
              Nope not me.  When I bought my 6th?(120gb) gen ipod at the apple store I went home and started putting all my music in it.  Itunes keeps getting error messages that it can't find the ipod, so I did a reboot on my ipod(press and hold menu and center button).  After 6 reboots, I finally uploaded all my music(60 gb at the time), then I started using it but all the music wasn't in it(it was still 115 or 117gb free space, can't remember).  Frustrated, I gave up, pack everything inside the box then went back to the apple store for an exchange(was only day 2 of owning it and had my receipt).  I told the employee(who was helping me and checking the serial # if it was not switched out) everything what happened and was told to bring my computer.  I told the guy that I only need an exchange and I'm not about to drive home 12 miles and back again in their store to prove them wrong.  I told the manager that I'll just take a refund and was told that he will have to charge me 15% restocking fee. Took the my money back then never looked back.  
              Be aware that I was very calm and pretty quiet about the event and in no way yelling and cursing at them even if I took the 15% restocking fee.
              To this day I still can't figure out why they couldn't have exchanged it.  Hate to pull out my race card(they probably think I took the new ipod and stuck my old one even though the serials match and I have my receipt) but that is the only reason that I can think off as to why they couldn't have just exchanged it.  That store was the last time I will buy my apple products.  I bought my ipod at Best Buy after that event since I know I will not be treated unfairly(they will just look at your receipt if it is within their 30 day return policy, check if the s/n on box matches the product, and you're good to go)

that is an unfortunate experience. i never went into an apple store i sent i sent my old ipod to apple and they sent me a new one. perhaps you got a bad employee. i still think their customer service is great from what i have heard and what i have experienced. i am sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 15
I agree. I would have asked to speak to a manager. Sounds like whoever that was, was just a jerk. I took my 5.5g ipod in a few years ago because it had "one" dead pixel. It took the employe a minute to find it, but once he saw it he immediately went to the back and brought me a brand new ipod. Just yesterday my wife took her iphone 4 in because there was a green line going down the screen that wouldn't go away. After 10 seconds of looking at it they told her they were out of stock at the moment, but they get them in daily. So when they get the next batch in, they would give her a brand new iphone. She just got it thursday refurbished from at&t and will end up getting a new iphone.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 15
i used to hate apple with a passion but i really think the customer support is worth the extra money. i am not much a fan of having the same thing as every one else though but i could care less. apple is a great company and i probably will buy my next laptop from them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I agree. I would have asked to speak to a manager. Sounds like whoever that was, was just a jerk. I took my 5.5g ipod in a few years ago because it had "one" dead pixel. It took the employe a minute to find it, but once he saw it he immediately went to the back and brought me a brand new ipod. Just yesterday my wife took her iphone 4 in because there was a green line going down the screen that wouldn't go away. After 10 seconds of looking at it they told her they were out of stock at the moment, but they get them in daily. So when they get the next batch in, they would give her a brand new iphone. She just got it thursday refurbished from at&t and will end up getting a new iphone.

Unfortunately, that was the manager.  After the 'tech support' refused to exchanged it I requested for the manager and he said the same thing.  Didn't have much of a choice but this 120gb ipod will be the last apple product I will buy.  This is the reason I'm excited about the upcoming FiiO X3
L3000.gif
 If the dap doesn't meet my two essential criteria(flac and sdxc support), there's always the Cowon J3 or X7
L3000.gif
   All is not lost
beerchug.gif
 TGFHfi!!!!!!

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
i used to hate apple with a passion but i really think the customer support is worth the extra money. i am not much a fan of having the same thing as every one else though but i could care less. apple is a great company and i probably will buy my next laptop from them.

Why? Sometimes the popular ones are sometimes better, although they're often times more expensive though since it is popular.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

Why? Sometimes the popular ones are sometimes better, although they're often times more expensive though since it is popular.

i don't know i guess it just stems from my old belief that apple sucks and everyone is gullible for buying ipods.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Unfortunately, that was the manager.  After the 'tech support' refused to exchanged it I requested for the manager and he said the same thing.  Didn't have much of a choice but this 120gb ipod will be the last apple product I will buy.  This is the reason I'm excited about the upcoming FiiO X3
L3000.gif
 If the dap doesn't meet my two essential criteria(flac and sdxc support), there's always the Cowon J3 or X7
L3000.gif
   All is not lost
beerchug.gif
 TGFHfi!!!!!!

Wow! Now I see why you thought it could have been racial. That's the only other thing that makes sense. If that happened to me, I probably would never buy an apple product either. I hope that everyone in that store are just jack*sses and race didn't have anything to do with it.

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Heh, okay, I'll bite.

I'll just talk about my most recent Apple "Care" experience and not all of my other pleasant run ins with Apple"Care" over the years that resulted in me being without my Mac for WEEKS at a time.

So I bought the new iPod nano last year shortly after it was released. After 7 weeks of ownership, the sleep/wake button died. Do some googling and you'll see is a pretty widespread issue. I made the long drive to the Apple Store, seeing as how it was supposed to be the fastest way to get it replaced. After the process of swapping it out is nearly complete, the guy informs me that they don't have that model in stock and I'd either have to do it by mail myself or make a second long journey back to the Apple Store if he ordered it for me. I choose to do it myself. So I make the long journey home, spend a good hour on the phone setting up the repair, take a trip to the local UPS store and set up everything there. In all, an entire day lost.

Then the repair process ends up taking longer than it should have because the phone representative entered the serial number wrong.

Apple sends me back a refurbished iPod nano. Even though I purchased new, they give me refurbished. Even though the iPod was just outside store return window, they give me refurbished. I dealt with the second most rude person I've ever dealt with at Apple and she won't do a thing about it.

A few weeks later, the screen starts to separate from the actual device. It's held in place by GLUE. At first the glue started to shift and the screen was no longer level. Then I was actually able to see inside the unit. Deal with Apple again. They tell me this is "in spec" because the unit can still be used, despite the fact that I can see inside it. Back and forth again for several weeks until they decide to do a "one time exception" and replace it with another refurbished unit, despite the fact that I purchased new.

So far this one has been working good. But yeah.

Plus theres all the other fun I've had with Apple products. Like I said before, problems with the awful build quality of the MacBooks resulting in me being without my MacBook for a combined total of months. Plus I had a 3G iPod nano, a generation known for a tilted screen. After several replacements I gave up ever getting one with a straight screen. Apple never did fix the daylight savings time bug with iPod that either.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Heh, okay, I'll bite.

I'll just talk about my most recent Apple "Care" experience and not all of my other pleasant run ins with Apple"Care" over the years that resulted in me being without my Mac for WEEKS at a time.

So I bought the new iPod nano last year shortly after it was released. After 7 weeks of ownership, the sleep/wake button died. Do some googling and you'll see is a pretty widespread issue. I made the long drive to the Apple Store, seeing as how it was supposed to be the fastest way to get it replaced. After the process of swapping it out is nearly complete, the guy informs me that they don't have that model in stock and I'd either have to do it by mail myself or make a second long journey back to the Apple Store if he ordered it for me. I choose to do it myself. So I make the long journey home, spend a good hour on the phone setting up the repair, take a trip to the local UPS store and set up everything there. In all, an entire day lost.

Then the repair process ends up taking longer than it should have because the phone representative entered the serial number wrong.

Apple sends me back a refurbished iPod nano. Even though I purchased new, they give me refurbished. Even though the iPod was just outside store return window, they give me refurbished. I dealt with the second most rude person I've ever dealt with at Apple and she won't do a thing about it.

A few weeks later, the screen starts to separate from the actual device. It's held in place by GLUE. At first the glue started to shift and the screen was no longer level. Then I was actually able to see inside the unit. Deal with Apple again. They tell me this is "in spec" because the unit can still be used, despite the fact that I can see inside it. Back and forth again for several weeks until they decide to do a "one time exception" and replace it with another refurbished unit, despite the fact that I purchased new.

So far this one has been working good. But yeah.

Plus theres all the other fun I've had with Apple products. Like I said before, problems with the awful build quality of the MacBooks resulting in me being without my MacBook for a combined total of months. Plus I had a 3G iPod nano, a generation known for a tilted screen. After several replacements I gave up ever getting one with a straight screen. Apple never did fix the daylight savings time bug with iPod that either.

ok then maybe i just got lucky.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 15
Well i guess it really depends on the store. Everybody's experience has been different which really isn't good. So you might get good customer service and you might get horrible customer service. That doesn't bold well for a company as big as apple to not have consistent "good" customer service for their products. Say what you will about best buy, their policies are the same no matter what store you deal with. I've read cases of people getting new iphones after dropping and cracking the screens and other cases of having to shell out 199.00 for another one(which isn't bad). There customer service is really inconsistent. I have had issues with best buy in the past and said well just give me my money back or just exchange it and they had to do that with no questions asked. Apple really needs to be consistent here. Especially with the fact they limit you on how you can use most of their products.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 15
i'd like to believe that everyone has their own experience with apple. I myself bought an iTouch and it never failed on me. I dropped it, jail broke it, received a little loading apple sign for about a day, and somehow it still managed to work. I don't hate apple by any means, i just don't think you're getting a value to price comparison. Apple is not a taboo word for me, i still plan on getting a MacBook Pro eventually, but as of right now, I think I'm loving the sound that's coming from my cowon. I don't have an experience with customer service from apple, but for the majority of the cases, i can tell that most people like the customer service. If you look at the statistics, apple ranks number 1 on customer service and it's no wonder why. Now, you have to consider that this ranking doesn't consist of smaller companies, but only the bigger companies. Nice to know that apple still puts customer service as a priority, but it's a bit shocking for me to look at comments from Engadget where people are boasting about how great their iPhone or iTouch is. All those people kind of piss me off, and in some way it translates bad for me about my thoughts about apple. But i don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just say that I've never had to deal with customer service and that the iTouch that i recently sold was still in perfect working condition after years of abuse

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 15
my ipod touch arrived today and it is not refurbished it is a brand new ipod. thank you apple for quickly resolving my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back