Ipod and Windows: Ok together?
Nov 5, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
Are there any potential negative consequences down the road from disabling usb emulation? I'm concerned that in a year from now, when I've probably completely forgotten about this, that I'll have "mysterious" problems with some other usb device. Maybe it would be better to leave the BIOS settings alone and just avoid booting with the iPod attached?

What do you guys think?

USB emulation allows you to use USB in legacy situations like the BIOS or DOS.

So basically the only thing you wouldn't be able to do is attach an external keyboard and navigate the BIOS or DOS with it. Since you have an intergrated laptop keyboard, this would be a non-issue.

As far as windows is concerned, it won't care if the USB emulation is disabled and USB will work just fine. The only mysterious problems you'd run into is if you tried to use a USB device before the OS loads. Even then you can always just reset factory defaults in your BIOS if you forget what settings you changed.

Naw, the BIOS settings are meant to be adjusted if you know what you're doing, and I'm fairly confident this will fix your problem. You can always change it back, USB emulation is a very minor setting, and the aforementioned consequences are a non-issue for you.

As proof that it will fix your issue, boot the laptop with the iPod attached and then just wait about 10-30 minutes... it'll boot eventually once it scans all 40 gigs of your ipod and can't find a boot sector. . . Or you could just try it and see what happens
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #47 of 53
I'm gonna have to agree with some of the previous posts about just biting the bullet and getting the firewire card. You will have charging capabilities, slightly faster transfers, and no processor hit like with USB. Firewire has always been one of those things on both macs and pc's that just works.

Oh yeah and you won't have to buy an adapter.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
I'm gonna have to agree with some of the previous posts about just biting the bullet and getting the firewire card. You will have charging capabilities, slightly faster transfers, and no processor hit like with USB. Firewire has always been one of those things on both macs and pc's that just works.

I'd prefer Firewire but I'm not sure it's worth paying for it. USB 2.0 gives me charging, file transfers are quite fast (better, I'd say, than the other mp3 players I've owned over USB) and I don't think the processor hit is that important in this context. I am disappointed to learn that my laptop's 4-pin USB port isn't up to snuff, however. I wasn't aware of the distinction when I bought it.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
As proof that it will fix your issue, boot the laptop with the iPod attached and then just wait about 10-30 minutes... it'll boot eventually once it scans all 40 gigs of your ipod and can't find a boot sector. . .

I may just try that. It's actually only a 20gig unit so it should be done in no time!
icon10.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #50 of 53
I bought a firewire card for my arse old computer, because all it had was USB 1.1. Yeah, it's that old. But heck, before installed the card I used USB 1.1 and it worked fine, no problems, just a bit slow, but I just told EphPod to transfer all my files, watched TV for a bit, and 'twas done.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
I know you've already changed your boot sequence, but this is sounding more and more like the system is scanning the entire ipod for a bootable sector.

Is there any option for like USB boot, or USB emulation? If so turn it off.

To prove it, wait like 10 minutes and I bet it boots eventually after scanning all 40 gigs of your ipod for a boot sector...

I've tried this and it's booting fine now. Thanks, guys. You've been a big, big help. I'm now sitting in my office
frown.gif
enjoying my iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
I've tried this and it's booting fine now. Thanks, guys. You've been a big, big help. I'm now sitting in my office
frown.gif
enjoying my iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yay! Glad we could help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back