Ipod and Nomad Zen Batteries Not Repacable?
Jul 19, 2003 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
I have been wanting to get a hard drive based MP3 player for sometime and have narrowed my search down to either an Ipod or a Zen but struggle with the idea that the batteries for both of these units are not replacable after their lives have expired in a few years. It seems insane to me that after investing that kind of money and effort to create a substancial portable music library, that after a few years the player is no longer capable of portable operation.

Can someone confirm the truth to what I have read that the batteries of both Ipod and Zen are not replacable?

If this is really the case, shame on the manufacturers, Apple and Creative, that have by design created a plan like this to generate more revenues. It seems like this could only be planned, as creating a design where the batteries are replacable is not rocket science.

Does anyone know of any quality hard drive based units that have replacable batteries?

Jul 19, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 9
The iPod battery is replaceable (1st or 2nd gen) and it's easy to do. A vendor example is http://www.ipodbattery.com/.

I'm sure a market for the 3rd gen is only a matter of time.

Don't know about the Zen. It's market share is so much smaller.

Jul 19, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 9
there is a HDD mp3 player with a user replacable battery, as far as i'm aware teh treo allows people to do this...

Jul 19, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 9
I know for sure that the Nomad Jukebox 3 allows for replacement of the battery, and can even accept a second battery for longer life... it pays the price in size however, compared to the iPod and Zen.

Jul 19, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 9
the Xclef HD500 has an easily replacable battery. Not available yet in the US. I was thinking of importing about 50 of them but need my $ to buy a house at the moment. If anyone here wants to do the importing I can put you in touch with a distributor in Germany but you will need a business tax ID and of course, large amount of cash upfront.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back