Ipod + amp or new player?
Aug 31, 2012 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Algiedi

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have an iPod touch 3 and I want to buy a new IEM that might need an amp.If needed Im also considering buying a new player only for the audio quality, as I like the ipod features and apps.If I get an amp like fiio e6 or r7 will the sound quality be good enough?
If not, which players do you recommend under $300? 
The IEMs Im considering are etymotic er4-s, shure 425, westone 2 and triple.fi10 btw.
Thanks

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 16
Hi, I have an iPod touch 3 and I want to buy a new IEM that might need an amp.If needed Im also considering buying a new player only for the audio quality, as I like the ipod features and apps.If I get an amp like fiio e6 or r7 will the sound quality be good enough?
If not, which players do you recommend under $300? 
The IEMs Im considering are etymotic er4-s, shure 425, westone 2 and triple.fi10 btw.
Thanks

In my opinion no. Buying an amp like Fiio E6 is not going to increase the already medicore sound quality your ipod touch is producing. If anything the E6 - E7 will colour the signal losing more detail because of their slightly average transparency. Move away from the touch looking at Sony Z series player or Cowon for your money. C2, S9 J3.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 16
I can't speak for the Ety's - but for the W2s, TF10s and especially the SE425, none of those need an amp - nor (IMO) do they actually benefit from one.  Personally I think the iPod Touch / iPhone has pretty good SQ - it measures well, has low output impedance, and to me is quite neutral.

You're better off (especially as a portable set-up) just running the DAP and your chosen IEMs.  Add an EQ app from the store (Equaliser is good) - and that will give you a parametric EQ for tweaking (the Apple EQ is rubbish).

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 16
i can recommend a Sansa Clip+ it will cost you 
30-50 dollars depending on how much internal memory you want. I have 2 gig and you can put micro SDHC in it so you can put a 32 gig memory card in it.
The Sansa is very small, have a very neutral sound (beter then iphone in my opinion) you can rockbox it (this will make the batery life longer) and it's cheap.
I use it more then my ipod. or you could buy a Rocco this wil cost you 170-200$ but they have a new one made for BA iem's (http://www.hisoundaudio.com/products/players/2012/0509/12.html)  here is the normal one that will do just finehttp://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_mp3?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=HiSoundaudio&node=172282 hope it helps!

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 16
If you are buying ER4S then i will highly recommend the AMPs and JDS Labs C421 is amazing little AMPs to start with oer Fiio AMPs and if buying other IEMs then Sony S764, S765, S766 series walkmen are very good because soundquality is on par with X, A, Z series walkmen(personally listened and compared them all) and longer 50Hrs battery life, Bluetooth, WM-Port to hookup with external AMPs but HP jack soundquality is amazing for the price and its get very loud without distortion( louder than any other Sony walkmen include Z, A, X series). BTW you can buy Fiio or ALO sony WM-Port line out cable.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks.I will have to sell my ipod in order to buy the new player and I want something to play videos and that has big internal memory or that at least accepts memory cards, so Im getting cowon z2 or x7.Are they equally good at sound quality? Meanwhile I'll just use the ipod.
I will pick Westone UM2 with detachable cable instead of ER4S, will an fiio e6 be enough? Or maybe only the player... (cant spend "much" and its very hard to buy these things where I live :/ )
Thanks again.

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 16
don't sell your ipod... buy something like the Sansa Clip + it's dead cheap! here i'll link you
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPSQM here is the sansa
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-32GB-microSDHC-Memory-Package/dp/B003WGJYCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346531482&sr=8-2&keywords=micro+sd+32gb
that togerther will be 50$! and if you rockbox the sansa, you'll get even more EQ settings the normal ones are good but rockbox is beter. I'll help you rockbox it if you want.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 16
Hmm ok I might consider it, that plus an e6 or e7 will be 90-130$ (+60% of it if Im taxed :/).I will see if I find one where I live
Btw anyone knows websites that ships to Brazil? Im getting the iem through westone website, but I cant find the sansa anywhere.At ebay I only find refurbished.
Thanks

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 16
So, you're going to run your new Westone 2 through a $30 Clip+ and $25 E6 amp when you have $300 to spend (if you sell your player). I guess saving money is your preferred preference. It's entirely up to you, though I know what I'd be doing. Keeping the signal clean as possible by purchasing a higher end DAP to compliment your IEM's, which really don't need an amp as it is. There's the cheap way or the serious way.

But sure it will sound 'ok'...I guess.

Enjoy!. :wink:

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Hmm ok I might consider it, that plus an e6 or e7 will be 90-130$ (+60% of it if Im taxed :/).I will see if I find one where I live
Btw anyone knows websites that ships to Brazil? Im getting the iem through westone website, but I cant find the sansa anywhere.At ebay I only find refurbished.
Thanks

look in my profile in the album 'default' i modded the sansa and the E5 to fit together you might consider that

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 16
Sure, but it will take a long time till I have my hands on them.Im buying them next month and it usually takes another month (sometimes 3 months!) to ship.If you dont mind I can contact you when I receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back