Ipod -> (amp?) -> e4c
Mar 31, 2006 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kapital

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around in the forums, but haven't been able to find an answer to this question:

Does an amp make any sense for an Ipod 5G - e4c's combination?

If so, Which portable amps under $300 would be reasonable options?

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes, amps make a difference with the E4C. I use just a lowly PA2v2 with me E4s and it makes them sound punchier and strengthens the bass. If you want more amp than that, a HeadAmp AE-1, Emmeline Hornet and Xin SuperMacro III are $350 and would be nice top of the line amps for a E4C. Under that, a Portaphile V2 would be a good option at $200. Even a MINT would do a good job.

If you're going to use an amp with your iPod, just make sure to get a good line out, like a TurboDockII to connect your iPod to your amp. Headphone out (especially on the 5G) won't do an amp justice.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 7
cmirza: Thanks for your feedback. I'll look for info on your recommendations

Can anyone comment about his/her experience with the combination of an Ipod 5g Video + e4c's with any of those particular amps?

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 7
The E4 is a nicely detailed and wonderful IEM. It deserves a nice amplifier.
biggrin.gif
A number of people have mentioned good experiences with the Hornet and E4. The E4 is known for being quite lush and rich, and the Hornet complements it perfectly in that regard. Rich and punchy. People also mention that the Hornet sounds even better after a few hundred hours of burn-in.

Regards,
Venio

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 7
I think an amp makes little difference with the E4cs and an ipod. There is a little bit more bass, but not worth the extra bulk and weight of an amp and cable IMO. The iPod /E4C just seems like a nice small combination by itself.

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 7
I have a Ipod Video and Shure E4 earbuds, but so far I find the sound a bit flat, and when I use any of the EQ preset, things get a bit distorted.

I don't want to use and amp, and most of my music is 192 0r 320 VBR MP3s, created using EAC/LAME. Can you tell me what EQ (and other settings) you are using to get good sound quality?

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 7
If you really want to make them shine I'd get a lineout for the iPod and the SMv6 from Xin... the E4C needs that bass boost IMO. If you like they way the sound with the EQ flat and feel the bass does not need any help the Hornet would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back