iPod Advice - Battery/Charging Help.
Dec 2, 2004 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I've just got my new 40gig 4G iPod, all okay so far - apart from charging. Straight away I've hooked the firewire connection to the cradle, the ipod to the cradle and the firewire to the PC. Everything is fine, done all the updates etc etc. However - the charging just seems to constantly be stuck on zero. It doesn't seem to be doing up at all and it's been a few hours now - any advice?

I hope I haven't damaged my battery *worry*.

Dec 2, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

I don't have an ipod (yet... Christmas morning is a sllooowww wait). However, I've done a little research and might be able to suggest a few things.

I think the most likely problem is that your firewire card is not compatible with charging the ipod; it is well-known and discussed on www.ipodlounge.com that not all firecard cards will work.

Could it be that your card is not hooked up to power? Perhaps you could check and hook it up if so. Otherwise, perhaps you'll have to go with USB 2.0 (I don't think there's much disadvantage, although I have heard firewire is more stable or something to that effect) or else try another brand of firewire card (there's suggestions over at ipodlounge as to the most surefire ones).

I'm crossing my fingers that my Audigy 2 firewire port will work - I may be going through what you are in about 24 days
wink.gif

Good luck,

Andy.

Dec 2, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
Hi,

I don't have an ipod (yet... Christmas morning is a sllooowww wait). However, I've done a little research and might be able to suggest a few things.

I think the most likely problem is that your firewire card is not compatible with charging the ipod; it is well-known and discussed on www.ipodlounge.com that not all firecard cards will work.

Could it be that your card is not hooked up to power? Perhaps you could check and hook it up if so. Otherwise, perhaps you'll have to go with USB 2.0 (I don't think there's much disadvantage, although I have heard firewire is more stable or something to that effect) or else try another brand of firewire card (there's suggestions over at ipodlounge as to the most surefire ones).

I'm crossing my fingers that my Audigy 2 firewire port will work - I may be going through what you are in about 24 days
wink.gif

Good luck,

Andy.

I have an Audigy 2 soundcard and a meaty powersupply. It's odd, I just switched the firewire port into the main powerpoint that they supply with the product and now it says the battery is full... I'm confused. Maybe it wasn't able to tell when the battery was full when charging off of the computer. Might be because I did updates? *shrugs* I dunno. I'm confused.

Dec 2, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 7
Hmmm.. so it looks like it charges off the audigy 2 but won't properly indicate that it is doing so?

If you don't mind, post if you figure out any additional details so I'll have some tips when I'm trying myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
Hmmm.. so it looks like it charges off the audigy 2 but won't properly indicate that it is doing so?

If you don't mind, post if you figure out any additional details so I'll have some tips when I'm trying myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay - it seems all fine now. I just think that maybe you need to to the first initial charge for the ipod out of the power socket, before switching to firewire from your PC or it doesn't show up properly when charging. But everything is working as it should be now.

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 7
God, I'm thoroughly confused now.

When I plug in my iPod, after a little bit of charge being drained. It'll start charging (fair enough), but it still seems to take 4 hours or so untill it shows the 'charged' screen to show it's fully charged. But, if I take it out before it says it's finished, then re-insert it; it'll say it's charged?

I'm completely confused... When is it TRUELY charged? When I unplug it and replug it and it says charged even though it wasn't before then, or only when I wait for 4+ hours (even after the battery only going down one notch), THEN it says charged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back