ipod ac adapter
Jun 8, 2005 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
i have a question about the battery. i'm concerned about the battery life of my ipod because i heard it holds about 300 charges. i use it a lot at home though, and i was wondering if the ipod's AC port is circuted parallel to the battery. in other words, if i'm listening to it with the AC adapter in, will it draw power straight from the outlet?

i used to have a panasonic mp3 player that recharged the batteries when the adapter was plugged in. to conserve battery life, i just took out the batteries and plugged in the AC adapter. unfortunately, thats not an option with the ipod.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 8
300 full charges. if you charge it every day it should be fine. if you only charged up 1/8 of the battery capacity then it counts as 1/8 of a charge. thanks for the heads up about the battery. this problem has been bugging me for a while now. the thing is, isnt it bad to leave the battery hooked up to the adapter after its full? won't it go flat?

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
300 full charges. if you charge it every day it should be fine. if you only charged up 1/8 of the battery capacity then it counts as 1/8 of a charge. thanks for the heads up about the battery. this problem has been bugging me for a while now. the thing is, isnt it bad to leave the battery hooked up to the adapter after its full? won't it go flat?

Im not sure on that one, i think it depends on certain battery types. As far as i know its not an issue on laptops, but it may be on mp3 players. Hopefully someone will know, im a little curious also.

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 8
According to Apple there is no disadvantage to living it plugged in all the time. Also - lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 8
Lithium-Ion batteries cannot be overcharged. It's part of their design.

Also, L-I batteries have a fixed life span whether charged or not. And even after 500 charge cycles the battery won't actually be dead but will, if treated properly, still retain about a third of its original capacity. By "proper treatment" I mean don't subject them to extreme temperatures and don't routinely discharge them below 20 percent.

And for chrissakes stop worrying about your iPod battery. They are relatively cheap and can be easily replaced in less than ten minutes by almost anyone. Check this out.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 8
depleting them under 20% is bad? oops.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
depleting them under 20% is bad? oops.

Yes, if done consistently. The "gauge" gets out of sync and can be reset by completely discharging (all) L-I batteries. Other than for this purpose, it is best to keep them topped up. I recharge my iPods, laptops, and cells when I finish using them, even after as little as an hour's usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back