iPod 7G: 120gb only
Sep 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #46 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK I know that the new 120 GB is a single-platter hard drive, and the old 160GB is a dual platter hard drive. If you compare the two closely they seem to be saying that the 120GB gets a bit less battery life (36 hours to the 160 GB's advertised 40 hours) and they don't designate the 160 GB's display as "320 by 240 pixels at 163 ppi." I don't know if the display on the 120GB is better or the same, and I don't know if the battery life is worse or just a more realistic estimate. Are there any actually improvements on the 120GB? Were/are there problems with a dual platter hard drive?

Are there any differences with regard to the display or power consumption/battery life?

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #48 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is virtually unnoticeable.

Not true - there is a longer load time for the 160 vs the 80. I've had both in front of me and it was frustrating, to say the least. The 80 DOES load faster.

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #49 of 129
Not sure if it's already been noted in another thread, but the refurbed 160GB has been reduced to $249 on the Apple Store site. I ordered a refurbed 80GB 5.5 Gen last year and it was like new. The refurb is a pretty good deal if you're thinking of getting one.

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #50 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by portaprostud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For hard drive ipod owners, how durable are these things? Do you have to be very careful about dropping or shaking these players? And how well do the hard drives hold up over time?

I've dropped my 30GB 5.5g a few times and its never gone wrong, but the back casing got dented after about two months, voiding the warranty.
I know a few people who've had them for over a year with no hard drive faliures, but one of my friends who trated his ipod like a newborn baby had the left channel on the headphone jack go about 2 days before the warranty was up, and ended up getting a new/refurbed unit.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 129
I bought a new 160 GB just now through the "clearance" link at The Apple Store. I want the extra capacity and I couldn't find any overriding reason to get the 120 GB instead. I hope that I made the correct decision. I guess time will tell...I will be using it exclusively with the Wadia and my home system.

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #52 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true - there is a longer load time for the 160 vs the 80. I've had both in front of me and it was frustrating, to say the least. The 80 DOES load faster.

Maybe on the paper. I have both 5G 30GB and 6G 160GB and virtually 160GB is not frustratingly sluggish compared to 30G. I guess what I'm saying is that the "new" classic isn't new at all by any extend. A lot of people, including me, think it's actually a step back from where they were. No wonder Apple's stock went down today.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #54 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe on the paper. I have both 5G 30GB and 6G 160GB and virtually 160GB is not frustratingly sluggish compared to 30G. I guess what I'm saying is that the "new" classic isn't new at all by any extend. A lot of people, including me, think it's actually a step back from where they were. No wonder Apple's stock went down today.

it nearly always goes down after the announcements. buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #55 of 129
I say get it if ya' find a good price (160gb iPod) as it'll shoot up as soon as stock starts to run low. My son has the 80gb classic himself and loves it. Jump on it if you can.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #56 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champloo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is rubbish. There aren't any refurbished or clearance 160gb classics on the UK apple store. I don't really fancy paying £220 odd for a brand new one from amazon.

eBay?

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #57 of 129
it's funny how apple is dropping the size of the hard drive but is offering HD content from iTunes. i think they should push this HD thing and also offer lossless music files so that everyone will run out of space on our nano's and touch's, and would *need* to buy an additional classic for that extra storage...

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #58 of 129
Don't kid yourself Apple is in this to make money all the way if the demand and popularity for the 160 had been their then we would see
new or possibly larger capacity.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #60 of 129
I've heard this too. Macworld's review makes a point of noting it in their review. What about the 80 or 120 gb versions? Are they speedy enough, as in comparable to flash drive ipods?

It sure would be nice to have my lossless files all on one player (or on any player for that matter).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a 160GB and sold it on. I just found it sluggish. Far happy with my 818. Thinking of an iPhone though for convergence PDA/Phone/MP3 Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back