iPod 7G: 120gb only
Sep 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #31 of 129
I was hoping for a larger one, but what shocked me the most was getting rid of the 160. Now I have to go out and buy one of htose babies before they are gone.

I have terabytes of music. Crazy mass storage can't come fast enough. I look forward to the day that I can have my entire music library in lossless along with my dvd collection and a ton of journal articles and my family photos all in the palm of my hand. Link up to an external monitor and I have a sweet all-in-one system, ultra portable, ultra sweet.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #32 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was hoping for a larger one, but what shocked me the most was getting rid of the 160. Now I have to go out and buy one of htose babies before they are gone.

I have terabytes of music. Crazy mass storage can't come fast enough. I look forward to the day that I can have my entire music library in lossless along with my dvd collection and a ton of journal articles and my family photos all in the palm of my hand. Link up to an external monitor and I have a sweet all-in-one system, ultra portable, ultra sweet.

Zanth, Where can you get a new 160GB Classic? Does the 120GB have anything going for it that the 160GB doesn't have? (updated HDD? any different features at all?)

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #34 of 129
There are new (but last year's model of course) 160 GB Classics all over my city right now: HMV, Best Buy, Future shop, Wallmart, Zellers, Sears all have them for instance.

The 120 is slimmer. This was made possible by the single platter hard drive they use rather than the dual platter drive in 160 GB units. Otherwise I believe the two models will function exactly the same.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #36 of 129
Most folks buying daps want tiny and cool functionality. If the Touch could do more, I'd buy it to be used as a PDA. It can't do what I want it to do so I focus on the music aspect of things. No worries, they have plenty of models. The 160 was nearly perfect (would love the FLAC support and digital out) and I can't understand why someone somewhere won't produce a high end DAP. One audiophile company could do it and do very well. Heck, the Cowon stuff could be it if only they could get the higher capacity drives installed. Their Q5 was quite interesting until I read the price for 60 GBs. No thanks!

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 129
Very disappointed. I didn't think they would come out with a totally different classic but I thought at least they'd do something with the firmware such as new, improved navigating system or different cover view. But, nope. Apple doesn't give a damn about Classic.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #38 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple doesn't give a damn about Classic.

This seems to be the consensus at the stevehoffman.tv forums. Folks figured out last year that naming it Classic was a death knell. This year's downgrade in capacity is a firm move to its death.

Some folks speculate that by downgrading to 120 single platter drives, it consolidates production, slims everything down and allows Apple to match their flash offers faster. 64 by next year, maybe 128 by the following year. It may be that a 240 GB drive will be offered next year...but doubtful at this point unless the complaining is loud enough that Steve will say something like: " You wanted more and we listened!" Knowing full well that they already have ordered more than a year's worth from Toshiba
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #39 of 129
Yep, I think Apple is looking for a way to kill off the hard disk players.

TBH, most people I know are more than happy with nanos or touchs, with only the few hardcore music junkies that I know owning a classic.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #40 of 129
By the way, I wouldn't call the new 120 GB iPod classic a "7G" model--it's more like a "6.5G" model since it essentially is the 6G classic 80 GB with the 120 GB HD replacing the 80 GB HD and some minor on-screen interface tweaks.

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #41 of 129
At least in my case, I also want reliability. I just assume flash based drives are more durable and less prone to damage from being dropped or shaken. And I also assume flash is more durable over time. I've had several hard drives just go funky over time.

For hard drive ipod owners, how durable are these things? Do you have to be very careful about dropping or shaking these players? And how well do the hard drives hold up over time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most folks buying daps want tiny and cool functionality.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #43 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that still want the 160GB Classic. Go to apple.com store, check the clearance section. New for $299! 80GB new Classics only $199! Get them while they last!

OK I know that the new 120 GB is a single-platter hard drive, and the old 160GB is a dual platter hard drive. If you compare the two closely they seem to be saying that the 120GB gets a bit less battery life (36 hours to the 160 GB's advertised 40 hours) and they don't designate the 160 GB's display as "320 by 240 pixels at 163 ppi." I don't know if the display on the 120GB is better or the same, and I don't know if the battery life is worse or just a more realistic estimate. Are there any actually improvements on the 120GB? Were/are there problems with a dual platter hard drive?

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #44 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were/are there problems with a dual platter hard drive?

Longer seek times, especially when it's got a large amount of files.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #45 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Longer seek times, especially when it's got a large amount of files.

Which is virtually unnoticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back