Ipod 5th or 7th gen?!
Oct 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys so I'm looking into a new ipod and I'm stuck between which one to get. Heres the info, I can't rly decide in terms of price, etc.

Either get the current 7th gen ipod from costco for 220. Covered by apples standard warrenty. (160gb 40,000 songs)
Good for holding higher bit rate files
OR
Get a refurbished 5th gen Ipod from rapid repairs which costs 160. Only has a 90 day warranty, thats it. (60gb, holds about 15,000 songs)

What do you guys think is best? I'm gonna use yuin PK3 headphones btw but im more concerned about reliability, number of songs and cost. Does one have better SQ than another?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Hmm.... if i were you ill get the 7g. The only reason to get the 5g is because its moddable. If you are not planning in doing that, i would say go for the 7g.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I agree. Unless you plan on modding the iPod or want to RockBox it, the newer iPod is the better option.
atsmile.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd never consider a 7th gen due to lack of FLAC support (Rockbox). Simple as that.
The 5.5g is great because it has the Wolfosn DAC chip and to my ears sounds better than the 7th gen when I auditioned a friends one. Also the ability to throw in a 240gb HDD and mod if you can afford it is pretty nifty.

If you want something simple and don't mind using iTunes just go with the 7th gen - it's still a likable DAP.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 8
I just ordered a classic, so the Cowon X7 is DOA for me. The SQ of this player is pretty good, as the HP out is quite clean sounding. I wish there was a custom EQ, but it sounds good w/decent IEM's or HP's on a FLAT setting.

Now all I need is a line-out cable for video to the TV and I'm happy.
atsmile.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Hey guys so I'm looking into a new ipod and I'm stuck between which one to get. Heres the info, I can't rly decide in terms of price, etc.

Either get the current 7th gen ipod from costco for 220. Covered by apples standard warrenty. (160gb 40,000 songs)
Good for holding higher bit rate files
OR
Get a refurbished 5th gen Ipod from rapid repairs which costs 160. Only has a 90 day warranty, thats it. (60gb, holds about 15,000 songs)

What do you guys think is best? I'm gonna use yuin PK3 headphones btw but im more concerned about reliability, number of songs and cost. Does one have better SQ than another?

Thanks!

If you're still trying to decide on which one to buy... I am about to order a 240 GB refurbished Ipod 5.5g from Ipodzens.com for 285 $.

1. The Wolfson DAC makes it a much better machine. To quote Red Vinyl Audio, 6th and 7th generation Ipods which don't have the Wolfson DAC "are not worth modding."

2. I borrowed my friend's 6th generation Ipod and am currently using, or rather trying to use that. There's no customizable EQ and the presets just drive me nuts. I chose the 5.5g over later generations mostly because I can install Rockbox on it and have a a decent parametric equalizer. 

3. Again by the grace of Rockbox you can drag and drop files of any format (FLAC, APE, MP3 etc. instead of being limited to Apple Lossless, Itunes etc) directly into your Ipod instead of using the Itunes software.

4. 240 GB > 160 GB.

These make a world of difference for me. And there's nothing to be scared of buying a refurbished item. New products come out of a factory line and quite many times with defects and failures, but refurbished items are renewed, refereshed and tested more thoroughly than even the new items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back