ipod 5th gen question
Sep 27, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

battery life: yes, it decreases as much as the 5.5g
videos: yes - if they were pirated, you need to convert them. there are a few programs available videora is one i have used
http://www.redkawa.com/blog/post.php?t=2948

software: yes, mediamonkey and winamp are 2 popular alternative software options that work with the ipod
www.mediamonkey.com
www.winamp.com

I've not really been thrilled with my experience with rockbox. I'm thinking about giving it another try though.

Battery life does decrease at bit, but i haven't had the opportunity to run down my battery yet. My 30g used to get about 12 hours of listening, less watching. My 80g is longer, but i don't work the 12's like I did, so I haven't had the chance to really burn one down to see. This is stock ipod firmware though, not rockboxed.

I use videora as well. The price is right and the results are good.

I only use itunes to update the firmware. my wife uses itunes for pictures and we're starting to play around with videos a bit more of the baby.

I'm a fan of Media Monkey. It handles a large library pretty well. I can play tracks off of my player when pluged in as well as tracks from the library that resides on a separate physical drive in our "server."

Tried redchair and it worked for everything, videos, pics and music but then my 30g died. Redchair only allows one ipod per license and when I emailed asking how to deactivate one ipod for an exchanged newer model I never received a response.

I haven't used winamp. Never tried windows media. I'm pretty comfortable with media monkey on my back but as it is with all new software and love interests, takes some "get to know" time.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6
iSquint -- free or contribute if you wish -- works very nicely to convert various video formats to MPEG-4 (mp4) and H.264 -- with variable quality slider, optimized either for iPod or TV, as you select. QuickTime Pro and VivX codec NOT required. Auto aspect ratio detection.

A few of the supported formats: .mov .mp4 .avi .dv .mpg .vob .3gp .asf .wmv .flv .m4v

Download free version and find more info at:
iSquint site with free version download link

A more robust commercial version called VisualHub is also available for $23.32 USD for single-user license. So far I've found the free iSquint version sufficient for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back