Ipod 5gen RockBox/Battery Question
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

big-fi

500+ Head-Fier
I've been searching for a battery replacement for the ipod that i'll be trading with my zune..

So far I found 1050mah one on ebay.
is there any higher/better one?

As well, ppl have been saying that RockBox is amazing, but they also say the battery life is like 4-5 hours... which is like NOThING.

I want to be able to play some games and stuff as well, which I think you need rockbox for...

Is there an alternative?

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 13
Still very short for a 30GB..

but with 60GB, it seems like it doubles up.
aren't the chipsets/board exactly the same?

should i change my battery for around 10-12 hours?

i'll be replacing the battery no matter what.
I jus dunno which yet.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been searching for a battery replacement for the ipod that i'll be trading with my zune..

So far I found 1050mah one on ebay.
is there any higher/better one?

As well, ppl have been saying that RockBox is amazing, but they also say the battery life is like 4-5 hours... which is like NOThING.

I want to be able to play some games and stuff as well, which I think you need rockbox for...

Is there an alternative?

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE 1050MAH batter!? I scowered eBay, found bought and installed a 950mAh battery iPod battery, as the Zune and iPod 5.5 60< use the same batteries , but the bigger the better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 60GB/80GB video ipods have double the cache of the 30GB models. i think they also use different batteries.

60/80G; 64M cache and shipped with default 800mAh battery.

30G; 32M cache and shipped with default 550mAh battery.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do cache affect battery time?

so if i get that 1050mah ones ill get around 20hr?

I gotta go find the battery again,,, i can't find it!
frown.gif

Cache actually helps battery time. The more space on which the iPod can store music, the less the hard disk has to startup and read more music.

As a rule of thumb, the RB crew says to expect about half the battery life you normally would on the 5G, so the 20 hours cut in half; 10, plus the bigger battery, you can expect maybe 12 to 14 hours.

I got about 8 hours on my e200 with RB loaded...

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 13
Im real interested in the battery you said you found, though.
icon10.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cache actually helps battery time. The more space on which the iPod can store music, the less the hard disk has to startup and read more music.

This is probably true if you list to playlists or albums. However, since Rockbox always fills the cache, if you select new songs to play frequently (thus causing the cache to reload), it is possible that the larger cache would slightly diminish runtime, all other things being equal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back