iPOD 5G: Well implemented Crossfeed in Rockbox
May 5, 2006 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

greenleaves

Head-Fier
I have been playing the Rockbox Crossfeed in IPOD 5G for quite some time and have been enjoying it ever since. It is one of the best implementations I have ever found in DAPs. The audio roll off problem is now fixed in the latest build. Great thanks to the Rockbox deveopers!

The soundstage effect is just amazing and three-dimensional when crossfeed is on. It gives you a great sense of space and puts you right in the middle of the performance stage where you feel exactly where the drums, guitars, flutes etc. are coming from. The whole listening now becomes very musical and full of excitement.

There are four options to minic the crossfeed effects you can set to your own taste:

Direct gain
Cross gain
High-frequency attenuation
High-frequency cutoff

The default setting is great but I find the 0.0 or -0.5 db for Direct gain slightly better for me. It's a great feature with countless options that enriches your musical experience. I'm still venturing into different settings with great fun.

There are still occasional audio drop outs when playing MP3 files at 320kbps due to performance issues except FLAC which uses less CPU power. I'm sure the performance issues will be ironed out when Rockbox 5G is formally released.

May 31, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 4
I want to share some of my experience using Rockbox Crossfeed on iPOD 5G and iRiver H-120, Xin SM3-V3 and Sennhesier HD600. Rockbox is an excellent piece of software. Rockbox works especially well on iRiver and iPOD for its excellent DSP functions although iPOD still needs some optimization in order to do well. In its current form, iRiver works best without a hitch.

Crossfeed really works wonder. It adds so much realism in my listening. I like the more focused and upfront soundstage that works beautifully well for most vocals and classical I enjoy. I was struck by a pleasant surprise of a deep, passionate and intimate voice of Diana Krall in her "Live in Paris" I've ever heard. It was truly a delightful experience.

1. EQ Settings: Here is the EQ settings (adapted from HiFlight at Xin CoolTalk) I use on Rockbox:

Channel Configuration: Custom
Stereo Width: 70%
Equalizer: Enabled
Crossfeed: Enabled
Crossfeed Settings: Direct Gain: -.5 db, CrossGain: -4.5 db, HiFreq. Attn: -7.5 db, HF Cutoff: 1100 Hz

Equalizer Setting:
(Adapted from binaural recordist, Ron Cole's "BioPhonic" EQ setting.)

LS: 7.5 db 30hz 3.5 Q
PK: .1 db 220hz 4.5Q
PK: 6.4 db 2500hz 3.0Q
PK: 1.4 db 7500hz 3.1Q
HS: 6.0 db 18,010hz 3.0Q

After entering the settings, make sure to "Save Equalizer" as a .cfg file. You can create your own, or edit current EQ file, and place in it in ./rockbox/eqs.

Some tips for using Crossfeed:

2. Volume control is crucial: I usually turn up the volume a little in order to hit some sweet spot. When the volume is too low, music can be dry and dull.

3. Quality of the music encoding plays a major role: While Crossfeed exhibits a more focused and upfront soundstage, it also exposes artifacts in some lesser quality encoding as well. I use FLAC and Wavepack for most of my music encoding. FLAC implementation is the most efficient codec in Rockbox by far, and Wavepack comes next. They eliminate many of the skipping problems due to performance issues compared with MP3 on iRiver, and especially iPOD.

4. Mastering of recording: Crossfeed may not work well for some mastering even of the same song. It's a matter of taste anyway.

Edit: To include Wavepack codec as well.

Greenleaves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back