iPod 5G vs. Zune 120
Jul 14, 2009 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ethan215

New Head-Fier
I've actually been a member of Head-Fi for about a month or so now, and I've made a few posts, but I'm a real newb compared to you guys. It just occured to me that I nver introduced myself, so..hi.

Anyway, I'm wondering how the 5.5 Generation iPod compares to the Zune 120 in sound quality. Also, I'm wondering if you can download CD's onto the Zune or if you have to use Zune Marketplace. (that last question was very stupid, I know, but like I said, I'm a newb)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 20
Download CD's onto them? You mean just like..put them on there? You can easily move music on there with the software, similar to Itunes. As far as SQ comparisons I did own a Zune 120 but have never owned a 5.5G ipod. I do remember liking the Zune SQ more than my ipod though, when I had both at the same time.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Download CD's onto them? You mean just like..put them on there? You can easily move music on there with the software, similar to Itunes. As far as SQ comparisons I did own a Zune 120 but have never owned a 5.5G ipod. I do remember liking the Zune SQ more than my ipod though, when I had both at the same time.

By downloading, I mean syncing physical CD's onto iTunes and then syncing with your player. That's what I've done for all my songs on my Nano. I have no money to use iTunes.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Ok.. lol well here's a suggestion and a pro tip.

You don't need money to use itunes, or anything else. You can download a CD Ripper. All you do is put your CD into the drive, run the program and "rip" the files onto your computer. It can make copies or make them into MP3's with a certain bitrate depending on how much space you have. 320 is the best quality possible of MP3's, and 128 is generally considered poor. I forget what a lot of people on here like. I think most people consider a certain VBR to be superior to CBR 320. Some people won't even use mp3's period.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 20
you said that you ave an ipod nano,so i can help you.my sister has ipod nano the most recent generation(i dont know 5th or 6th as i dont follow apple products) and i have zune120.i think that the zune have better sound quality than the nano,it have deep closed intimate sound that you feel that the instuments and the singeris close to you or near you,the zune have powerful deep bass that slams just right.on the other hand the ipod nano fom my opinion have a little bit wider soundstage and more treble and saparkle that the zune lacks a little bit(but i prefer the zune here becaue it has warmer sound tht doesnt fatigue your ear).oh one other note is that if you crank the nano's volume above 50% the sound will distort and become shouty while the zune remains controlled with the powerful but not overwhelming bass and the vocals remains controlled.
i used this comparison with my sennheiser ie8,hope that helps
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 20
I have not heard the Zune, but the lack of any EQ option for it is a big no-no for me, compared to having a very flexible rockbox EQ for the iPod 5G.

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 20
the eq on the ipod is just a joke,i used it on the nano and it only make the sound worse using any combination posible.But i dont know about the rockboxed ipod cause i never heard it.does it improve the oveall sound of the ipod and if yes HOW?I do they change te internal amp or what?i will be interested to know
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it true that Zune does not have any EQ?

Zune 30 has EQ. not so for Zune 4, 8, 16, Zune 80 and Zune 120.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #13 of 20
I've owned a 5.5G iPod and a Zune 30 (the Zune with the EQ). There is no contest as to which sounds better via the headphone out - the Zune wins hands down. And that's even if you Rockbox the 5.5G. I've read that the SQ of the Zune 120 is also very good.

However, if you wanted to go the extra mile and use the LOD on the iPod with an amp, then I've read that the SQ is much better. As for CD ripping, I would also recommend a third party tool to do that (like EAC for Windows).

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok.. lol well here's a suggestion and a pro tip.

You don't need money to use itunes, or anything else. You can download a CD Ripper. All you do is put your CD into the drive, run the program and "rip" the files onto your computer. It can make copies or make them into MP3's with a certain bitrate depending on how much space you have. 320 is the best quality possible of MP3's, and 128 is generally considered poor. I forget what a lot of people on here like. I think most people consider a certain VBR to be superior to CBR 320. Some people won't even use mp3's period.

Thanks so much for the tip, but that sounds a little..advanced for me. ^^ I was jsut wondering if you can sync CD's with the Zune the same as an iPod, like I said.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan215 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for the tip, but that sounds a little..advanced for me. ^^ I was jsut wondering if you can sync CD's with the Zune the same as an iPod, like I said.

Yes, the Zune software supports ripping and encoding to mp3 or wma. You can download and use the Zune software without a Zune player. Were I you, I'd give it a test drive so you can see if you'll be happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back