iPod 5g sound quality vs 3g
Mar 10, 2006 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
Does the 5g have more bass punch?

Is it still a bad idea to use the EQ function in the 5g iPods? In the 3g iPods people always said "don't use the EQ because it just adds distortion." Is that still true with the 5g iPods?

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Great question. I'm thinking about going from a 3G 30gig to a 5G 60gig and I'm wondering if the sound is better or worse? Somewhere I've read that there is a company that mods iPods. I can't remember what their philosphy was on the mod, and if it would shed light on the original question.

Mar 10, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus
Does the 5g have more bass punch?

Is it still a bad idea to use the EQ function in the 5g iPods? In the 3g iPods people always said "don't use the EQ because it just adds distortion." Is that still true with the 5g iPods?

There is definitely more bass present with the 5G than the 3G if you're using low / mid-impedance phones.

The bad thing about the EQ is that a lot of the curves are poorly chosen IMO so there's a fairly limited range of truly usable presets. There is still distortion if you use the bass-driven curves, but to a much less extent than the 3G... so much so you might not notice it if your music listening style doesn't overdo the lows.

Still, not ideal. Just about the only thing I genuinely like about the Sony's is their EQ presets and the custom EQ implementation as well as the EQ algorithms. It's EQ for the person who may not understand EQ but just wants to get good results. It's rather odd that Apple have leapfrogged Sony portables in every regard except for this single thing, which I think is pretty important for the non-audiophile person who doesn't care much about quality as long as it's decent but just wants to be entertained.

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The bad thing about the EQ is that a lot of the curves are poorly chosen IMO so there's a fairly limited range of truly usable presets.

I totally agree. I love the 5G, but I think the EQ presets are pretty useless. When I use the headphone jack and my Future Sonics EM3's, I actually use the treble boost for the best sound (to my ears). Normally, though, I use the Sendstation line out along the the PA2V2 for the best sound (and it's really good).

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 7
I guess one of the reasons I'm asking is because it would be cool to be able to flick on a switch on a given song that was a bit weak in the bass and just *boost* it without distorting the sound, in other words, I want the EQ to be a touch away with high quality results. But maybe the 5g is high quality enough with enough *built-in* bass.

Or should I just get the Zen Vison M and be done with it ???

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 7
i went from the 3G10GB to a 5G60GB and i find the bass improvement to be night and day. i also hear improvements in clarity and soundstage.

as for EQ, i find i only need it with thin, bass-poor recordings (mostly 70s/80s punk). otherwise, ipod's stock sound is good to me. this is ampless into ER4P's.

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 7
VicAjax,

Do you run your ER4P's out of the headphone out or the line out?

p.s.
I'm glad you mentioned clarity and soundstage as well, too often on my 3g iPod I can hear graininess or grit where it doesn't belong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back