Ipod 5g or Zen Vision:m???
Apr 4, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mobile Fuzzman

Head-Fier
ok so im in the market for a new dap, well at leat soon i will be, but i want to do all of my research so that when i have the money i can go get it right away. now i want a player that can play videos, i have to get it instore NO web sites b/c im doing this mostly through ectended warrenty so yah. what player is better the 5g ipod or the vision:m. what are the ups and downs of each? what comes wiht the ipod and what comes with the vision:m? the nice thing with the vision is i allready have the remote so yah. but any way if you could answer me those questions that would be great.

thanks
mobile fuzzman

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 20
Get the Zen Vision:M.

It's better in just about every way.

Apr 4, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 20
its better, but it doesnt come in a 60GB flavour so i would not dream of getting it. its rediclious for a player of its quality and features not to have a 60gb drive.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 20
True , 60 GB may be needed. You'll pay $100+/- more for the extra 30GB which is easily worth it. The better screen quality of the ZV:M won me over and besides just how much music(not to mention video) do you need to carry?

30 GB holds A LOT of music...I do wonder why Creative hasn't offered a 60 GB version...yet.

Apr 4, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 20
I really only use the ZV:M as a Napster client these days.

As a DAP the iPod still has an edge over the ZV:M in my opinion for the immediacy of use, the superior screen quality in actual, real-life use (yes, you read that right... I have had a replacement ZV:M and the situation has not changed) and superior controls. Both sound similar in terms of quality so that is not a basis of choice.

As a video player the Vision M has some advantages including genuinely double the video battery life of the 30Gb iPod and extra codec support, but it will depend on where you get most of your videos for whether the extra codec support is actually useful. In my case, attempting to play DVD's and footage from my PVR (the bulk of the material I would want to watch) resulted in the same rather time consuming transcode requirement as the iPod would in the same situation. As a photo player it has the advantage of some extra manipulation features, but it has no USBOTG facility... a curious omission. FM radio is slightly worse than the iPod remote implementation, and voice recording is also pretty mediocre compared to what the 5G is capable of with third-party accessories... but you do get them with the player at least, and not have to pay extra for (better) results.

Overall, it's a pretty evenly matched choice given price/performance but in terms of a DAP the iPod still retains some advantages for me. My choice happens to be the iPod, although I'll be keeping the ZV:M until I find a PlaysforSure player I can get on better with.

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 20
I think there is no contest overall.
The ZV:m has far more features and usability overall than the ipod. However, it's a personal decision that spending 30 minutes at your local bestbuy or circuitcity can resolve for you.
The ZV:m just has so many more features for a lower price....

The *only* reservation I have about it is the viewing angle from the bottom up is not good but that angle is kind of unusual in everyday use. You'll see what I mean when you play with it.

Regarding sound quality...others will tell you that this player is better than that player but it's just an opinion. I like my ZV:m better than my ipod or my recently departed rio karma, but that's just my opinion.

Some also say they don't like the controls on the ZV:m but when you see how smartly the menu system is compared to the ipod, you will only grow to love it more and more over the ipod in time.

If you want to watch video, there is no comparison, the ZV:m's combination of 2X battery life and much better looking screen secures that. If you need integration with itunes, the ipod is the way to go.

Good luck.

LIP

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 20
Bangraman, I'm curious to know if you intentionally made the A in DAP (second sentence) bold on purpose ?

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
The ZV:m has far more features and usability overall than the ipod.

The ZV:m is a very nice looking player with great features. Does anyone know if it supports Album Artwork?

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
Bangraman, I'm curious to know if you intentionally made the A in DAP (second sentence) bold on purpose ?

the bold A was intentional, he's emphasizing the audio quality

check this out for a comprehensive review and advantages of both players http://dapreview.net/e107_plugins/co...content.259.11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
The ZV:m is a very nice looking player with great features. Does anyone know if it supports Album Artwork?

it supports album art

Apr 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobile Fuzzman
ok so im in the market for a new dap, well at leat soon i will be, but i want to do all of my research so that when i have the money i can go get it right away. now i want a player that can play videos, i have to get it instore NO web sites b/c im doing this mostly through ectended warrenty so yah. what player is better the 5g ipod or the vision:m. what are the ups and downs of each? what comes wiht the ipod and what comes with the vision:m? the nice thing with the vision is i allready have the remote so yah. but any way if you could answer me those questions that would be great.

thanks
mobile fuzzman

I'll ditto the Vision:m. It's the same cost here in Canada, and is a better player overall, UNLESS you like itunes.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
The ZV:m has far more features and usability overall than the ipod. However, it's a personal decision that spending 30 minutes at your local bestbuy or circuitcity can resolve for you.
The ZV:m just has so many more features for a lower price....

The *only* reservation I have about it is the viewing angle from the bottom up is not good but that angle is kind of unusual in everyday use. You'll see what I mean when you play with it.

Regarding sound quality...others will tell you that this player is better than that player but it's just an opinion. I like my ZV:m better than my ipod or my recently departed rio karma, but that's just my opinion.

Some also say they don't like the controls on the ZV:m but when you see how smartly the menu system is compared to the ipod, you will only grow to love it more and more over the ipod in time.

If you want to watch video, there is no comparison, the ZV:m's combination of 2X battery life and much better looking screen secures that. If you need integration with itunes, the ipod is the way to go.

Good luck.

LIP

Good post, and I 100% agree with you on the user interface. It does so many more things (even subtle things) which you could not dream of doing on the iPod.

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 20
1)Im afraid of getting the Creative and 2 months later they will have a new player out.

2)Also do you need certain requreiments to use their software? 3)Do I need to use their software? ( im a drag and drop type of guy). 4)Whats the advantage of software?

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot

I think he wanted to emphasize as a straight audio player, the ipod is better, but as more than just an audio player, things aren't so.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 20
Oh man, just get an iPod...install Rockbox onto it...

Best combo ever. Simplicity of iPod controls and a hardcore firmware...perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back