iPod 5G or Classic?
Apr 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #16 of 35

Quote:

And with more space, better screen, better size and better software on the Classic, that was my choice.

More space? How about upgrading the ipod video to a 240GB HDD?

Better software on the classic? How about rockboxing the ipod video?

Well in my opinion, the ipod video even looks & feels much better than the classic.The material choice for the classic is a design backward from the video.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #18 of 35
I would go with the 5G too. I have one, and I like it perfectly fine. I've always got a good sound out of it even using the headphone jack. It's been able to drive all the headphones I've tried with it, save for the SE-50. It drove them, but they're such low impedance that I think they are a tad too much for the iPod's internal amp to handle. I agree with the battery update as well. I need to do that. Mine is like four years old and I still have the original battery.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
Don't need that much space, don't like nor feel the need for rockbox.
The Video design is great (more akin to the first iPods which I love), but it's fatter than the classic.

If you don't play lossless, you probably won't need 240GB's. But if you do play lossless, then 240GB's will be anybody's dream. All the ipod videos I have are the original 30GB's which are thinner than the 60GB and the 80GB ipod video's.

Quote:
I would go with the 5G too. I have one, and I like it perfectly fine. I've always got a good sound out of it even using the headphone jack. It's been able to drive all the headphones I've tried with it, save for the SE-50. It drove them, but they're such low impedance that I think they are a tad too much for the iPod's internal amp to handle. I agree with the battery update as well. I need to do that. Mine is like four years old and I still have the original battery.

Yeah I just use the headphone jack no amp - that's what portable DAP's is all about. I have three ipod videos and never will they all run out of battery at the same time. With rockbox installed, anytime I plug phones in any one of the ipod video's the music is simply back on. Cool. Another reason to have multiple ipods is to use them as portable hard drives to backup my collection of music.

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
As an owner of a 7g ipod classic i had no idea it sounded bad. It sounds pretty good to me. this is compared to my mac and my gaming rig.

Then again I don't think a source could make a difference. How could a few wires and chips improve sound? it's 1s and 0s after all. Maybe a less noisy source but i never hear any noise regardless.

Lol if you only knew. Believe me there is a huge difference in sound between an ipod and an audiophile DAP. :).

Apr 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
I'm sure there's an audible difference between the ruler flat FR of the iPod Classic and the rolled-off bass and/or rolled-off treble and/or emphasized mids of "audiophile" DAPs :p

The DX100 and Studio V are neutral DAPs FYI. Believe what you want :wink: And there's much more to it than just the frequency response. I'm talking imaging, sound staging, clarity, separation. There's much more to it than meets the eye.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 35
I thought audiophiles wanted as close to accurate is possible? Why roll off bass and or treble? That makes no sense.

Not all of them want that apparently. Go figure. Read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593636/review-hifiman-hm-801-big-sound-small-package

The HM-801 has gotten a lot of hate because of it's treble roll off. It's okay that you want the most accurate source according to graph sheets, but in terms of musical enjoyment and realism, neutral isn't the sound you most likely want.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #24 of 35
When I am enjoying the music so much, the audio improvement is no longer that important to me. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:

that's what portable DAP's is all about.

Yeah, if I'm getting what you're saying here, I agree totally. Like, I never saw the benefit of bringing around more devices than I need to. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just my preferences. I don't even bring my headphones out of the house though. So I guess I'm not one to talk lol. I usually just pop in whatever cheap earbuds when on the go. But at home it's a different story, and the iPod seems to be a solid performer when coupled with an amp.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #26 of 35
Nothing worse than people thinking you are in the Taliban out to destroy the fiber of American-life (bomb in hand lol). I would bet this would be much worse on September 11th...

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
Nothing worse than people thinking you are in the Taliban out to destroy the fiber of American-life (bomb in hand lol). I would bet this would be much worse on September 11th...

Yeah I know how you feel. I think I saw you the other day stopped by the cops at Pali with that studio V bundle. Let me know next time if you want to loan one of my ipods.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:

Yeah I know how you feel. I think I saw you the other day stopped by the cops at Pali with that studio V bundle. Let me know next time if you want to loan one of my ipods.
bigsmile_face.gif

It would be punishment for my ears to downgrade :wink:

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:

True true but considering the updates to the DX100 firmware (the Studio V is super easy to us as is) and the fact that micro SDXC is getting cheaper and will have up to 2TB, its the most convenient and viable option for the future.

the main thing about DX100 is that you can't control it with out looking... If I have the money I will get 801... and it is probably my next thing to get..

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:

the main thing about DX100 is that you can't control it with out looking... If I have the money I will get 801... and it is probably my next thing to get..

How about the click wheel of the ipod? The wheel control for the sound volume is the best experience you could have for a portable DAP and nothing can beat it, period.

You are not supposed to look at it.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back