ipod 5g may destroy your right earphone (reported by users on iounge)
Jan 22, 2006 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

amir_j

100+ Head-Fier
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...hreadid=144425

worrying
confused.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 30
funny same happend with my stock Sandisk DAP and now i sent the mx500 to senn's lab cuz the right bud is rattling O_o

EDIT: oh and i replaced the right driver on my portapro's twise.. what's up with the right?

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 30
I've had two EX71s where the right driver went...although thats more to do with Sony's quality control

Then I discovered this place and have since upgraded

My Senn MX500s have never had a prob in 2 years of use though

A fault in the DAP...could be interesting or nothing more than paranoia
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 30
weird....i was readin the ilounge thread.....i have a friend who got a 30 gig black iPod for Christmas and his right earphone blew out 3 days ago....

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 30
I'm thinking about returning my iPod because this thing almost killed me a few days ago. Okay...
icon10.gif
...not quite, but it was very unusual nevertheless. I was walking to my car listening to the iPod with the iPod earbuds, and then the earbuds friggin' electrocuted me for like 1-1.5 seconds. It actually stung quite a bit. I haven't had a problem since but I went to check on ilounge.com to see if someone had a similar experience to mine, and it looks like someone has except he was wearing iems, and the shock temporarily damaged his eardrums. I now I see a bunch of posts of the iPod damaging headphones, and I'm getting worried. I was already thinking about "downgrading" to an iaudio flash player, and this gives me another reason.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 30
I sell Apple replacement iPod buds on eBay. Believe or not, I get dozens of orders everyday. So i am quite sure the report is true. In fact, my brother's already blown two pairs rattling. So I am not surprised similar would happen to other low/mid end phones.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 30
My right earbud went on my 3G. But it was also crushed a bit so I blamed it on that. But it wasn't much so it might have been the iPod. Makes me not want to listen to my Shures on there.

Jan 22, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 30
My Super.fi 3's right earphone wasn't working when I first plugged them into my new nano, didn't think the nano was what caused it though, but I wonder now, has anyone been having problems with the nano or only the 5G's? my Super.fi 3's has worked fine since I had the cable replaced though

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 30
Someone please measure the DC offset on both channels of the headphone out of a 5G iPod. If there's something that would (directly or indirectly) cause damage to headphone drivers, it can pretty much only be that. On my G3, it looks to be far less than 1 mV according to my cheapo multimeter, which is entirely unproblematic. Something in the 100s of mV or beyond may be more critical, due to the voice coil heating up and the driver excursion being limited on one side.

BTW, I bet you can find just as many people with iPod stock buds with blown left drivers as with blown right drivers...

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by amir_j
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread...hreadid=144425

worrying
confused.gif

The explanation involving static seems the most sensible to me, followed by wear and tear. That wouldn't be limited to 5G iPods though, or iPods at all for that matter. But the less impedance and the more delicate the drivers, the more current will flow and the more likely are they to become damaged by ESD.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 30
I almost always use line out with an Emmerline and my headphones canals are fine. I would really be pissed if this is a real issue. Apple will fight this tooth and nail, make a fix, and not tell anyone. A recall would cost them an incredible amount of money and their stock price would plummet.
mad.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 30
I generally take anything that's been said or reported in the iLounge forums with a huge grain of salt. The forums seem to be overrun by "kids". I'd be more concerned if this issue came up in the HeadFi forums first.

But, we'll wait and see, I guess.

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldspice
I generally take anything that's been said or reported in the iLounge forums with a huge grain of salt. The forums seem to be overrun by "kids". I'd be more concerned if this issue came up in the HeadFi forums first.

biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sure this wasn't started by some anti-iPod/anti-Steve Jobs?
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back