Ipod 5g file extension??need clarification!!
Sep 30, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi!

My head is spinning and I am feeling very confuse. Passed all afternoon searching the web and Head-Fi and I think my google is low on battery
blink.gif
as I can't find a straight answer!
mad.gif

what is the extension for apple loossless: is it .m4a or .mp4?

also what is the extension for the loosy apple format: .acc?

I bought a ipod 5g 30gb to check out by myself if the bashing about ipod is true!Also to take advantage of the 30 gb of space.
I will receive it next week.

I am preparing my files to conversion and it's hell!
redface.gif

itunes started to convert my files and from 16 gb of free space on my laptop I ended with 200 meg of available free space!!???
I removed the itune and the files.

I am considering winamp or anapod to connect and manage the ipod.

Also ALL my files are either in Flac,Ogg or wma formats.
I sure hope I won't end this "ordeal" with a rockbox ipod version
etysmile.gif

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 5
It's m4a for all when using iTunes, since this only tells you what container it is, but not which file type it really is.

So Apple Lossless and AAC both can have m4a as extension.

But it can be mp4 as well, since there are more extensions for MPEG-4 than only m4a.

Just look at the wiki entries of AAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless). They can give you at least a starting point.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's m4a for all when using iTunes, since this only tells you what container it is, but not which file type it really is.

So Apple Lossless and AAC both can have m4a as extension.

But it can be mp4 as well, since there are more extensions for MPEG-4 than only m4a.

Just look at the wiki entries of AAC and ALAC (Apple Lossless). They can give you at least a starting point.

Thanks! Still confusing but getting there...

And if NOT using itunes and wanting to convert from my already ripped albums , which are in Flac, Ogg and Wma.

I use currently Easy CD-DA Extractor and it will convert my ripped files to any of these format:
.m4a(AAC)
.m4a(AAAplus)
.m4b(AAC)
.mp4(AAC)
.mp4(aacPlus) and every one of them with a choice of Kbits/s stereo.(up to 320)

Eventually ECDE will convert to apple loosless. In the mean time which extension is correct.

I want to have some music to try out this ipod!!

Thanks,

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 5
I don't understand your question. Are you asking which is the correct extension is the correct one for Apple lossless?

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand your question. Are you asking which is the correct extension is the correct one for Apple lossless?

Yes! and not only apple loossless, the loosy extensions too.

In the following extensions, which is the correct one to use when I convert my Flac files for ipod?
.m4a(AAC)
.m4a(AAAplus)
.m4b(AAC)
.mp4(AAC)
.mp4(aacPlus)

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back