iPod 5G/Fiio E11 (and questions)
Jun 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slidesear

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running Rockbox on my iPod 30GB 5G and it sounds good to my ears. I wanted to get some suggestions from the community as to what upgrade path I should pick.

The HD is still good but has a few bad sectors and reallocations(bad blocks,) per the Apple on-board diagnostics.

I will be replacing the hard drive and the battery pretty soon. Now I have a couple of routes I can take;

1. Replacing both with the stock parts. ($50)
  2. Using an iFlash adapter to go with CF memory. ($60 for 32GB) ($160 for 64GB) (+$10 battery) (+$20 iFlash)
  3. Upgrading the components of the iPod to support the parts to that of an 80GB 5G. ($110)
  4. Going with a completely different DAP to go with the FiiO E11 ($??)

The CF route seems the most desirable since it will allow me to use a bigger battery (at the same time gaining battery life by getting rid of the spinning hard drive) and also allowing for the option of doing a iMod/dyiMod. The bad part is that it is also the more expensive route. Another con is that I might mess up the iPod by doing the dyiMod.

The modest approach would be to go with the stock battery and stock hard drive.

The different approach will require that I buy another LOD and it is to get a new player.

The silly (I think) approach is to replace the components on the iPod to have a 80GB (which would be cheaper to just buy a used one.)

I am looking for suggestions and ideas that will help me make the best decision. I don't really need anything more than 30GB but more is never bad...

I will be using this setup for my Ultrasone Pro900's (work/home) and for portable cans/iem's I will be buying. Is the dyiMod worth it?

Here are some pics to make the read worth it...

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Any input would be appreciated.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 10
What do you guys think my best choice would be? My HD is failing and my battery life isn't as great...

I am torn :frowning2:

I definitely want large storage to hold my lossless music.

Having to manage two disks (internal and SD) on a Sanza is annoying, can't really deal with that.

I am not sure I want to spend 150 on this old iPod... (100GB) but the capacity makes it look good.

I am not sure if there is anything else out there that would cost ~150 and have 100GB of capacity.

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 10
I ended up ordering a 120GB hard drive for $60 and a battery for $10. Hopefully the iPod lasts...

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 10
I would've gone with the flash drives. Better battery life and it makes the iPod pretty much bulletproof. I took out the Microdrive from my 2G iPod Mini and replaced it with a 32GB CF card. It gets some excellent battery life and allows me to store everything in one place. I had the Clip+ + MicroSD card and the battery ran down very fast with that combo.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 10
I believe newer drives such as the Samsung 120GB (HS12YHA) I purchased are more efficient. I think that the 32CF is ~$60 and too expensive for the size you get. I payed $56 for the 120GB, a ratio that I am more comfortable with 
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Last week I got me a Classic 5g 120 GB for $140 at amazon marketplace, could that be an option for you?

Or wait for the FiiO X3 if capacity is not a big deal, and use micro SD cards, that is what I'd do. after reading some reviews of course.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Last week I got me a Classic 5g 120 GB for $140 at amazon marketplace, could that be an option for you?

Or wait for the FiiO X3 if capacity is not a big deal, and use micro SD cards, that is what I'd do. after reading some reviews of course.

+1
I'm holding out on buying an iPod classic (6th gen) until the X3 comes out. I hope the X3 is better, but if not I'll go for the newer classic 160gb model (and rockbox it when the new version becomes stable).

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I tried the 120GB HD out and the transfer rates were really slow, about 25KB/s. Fortunately, my boss' 80GB classic had a failing HD and I was able to sell and install it for him. The transfer rates were 30MB/s on his iPod.

I guess it doesn't really work on the 30GB iPod 5th gen.

I will wait for the X3 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back