Ipod 5g and mp3gain
Nov 20, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
Thers nothing wrong with the Ipod 5G EQ's. Sounds to me like few people here even have one.

i have the new G5 and i think the distortion can be different depend on what headphone you use. i leave my eq off because it doesn't matter what eq i set on, i still notice some distortion.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 34
Is there any need to change gain for Apple Lossless (ALAC)? I know mp3's and aac's clip alot even without EQ so I've been using AACgain on my mini with great results, but I'm wondering if that's the same case with lossless files..

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
Is there any need to change gain for Apple Lossless (ALAC)? I know mp3's and aac's clip alot even without EQ so I've been using AACgain on my mini with great results, but I'm wondering if that's the same case with lossless files..

Yes, the EQ causes distortion on ALAC files as well. I use 100% lossless, and the EQ still causes distortion.

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Yes, the EQ causes distortion on ALAC files as well. I use 100% lossless, and the EQ still causes distortion.

How do you deal with the problem? I've heard you can't use aacgain on ALAC files...

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi
How do you deal with the problem? I've heard you can't use aacgain on ALAC files...

I don't use EQ
rs1smile.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by waffenschmidt
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but this is my understanding.

MP3Gain can eliminate clipping that would otherwise be introduced during the MP3 decoding process when the value of the frame being decoded exceeds some value. I don't believe this has anything to do with the player being used.

MP3Gain will not eliminate clipping that exists in the original recording, which is what I suspect was the problem donunus experienced. How could it?

I believe the value of using MP3Gain with the previous versions of the ipod is that the ipod's equalizer would introduce clipping or distortion with files at normal volume levels. Reducing the level using MP3Gain gives the equalizer more "headroom" to work with, allowing the volume of the selected frequencies to be boosted without introducing distortion. Apparently, according to blessingx (who cited iLounge), this particular problem has been eliminated in the 5Gs.

Edit:

That's not to say MP3Gain wouldn't be helpful in eliminating decoder-based distortion on the 5G or any other player.

I just want to draw attention to this -- what he said is true.

The 5G's equaliser is improved. With my 4G, I had to MP3Gain files to 89db to avoid clipping. The 5G is not clipping at all so far with my 92dB files (which the old iPod did). MP3gain is needed but to a lesser extent.

On my Zen, the EQ presets DID clip without MP3gaining files, like the iPods equaliser but to a lesser extent. MP3Gaining fixed this. But the Zen had a "Smart Volume" function where it reduced the gain automatically and seperately of MP3gain.

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I don't use EQ
rs1smile.gif

LoL, that'd work...
tongue.gif

but the reason I ask is I've noticed when track analysing my aac's through AACgain, a lot of my collection comes up as "clipping positive", even without applying any EQ.

Nov 21, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electric_Mofo
Thers nothing wrong with the Ipod 5G EQ's. Sounds to me like few people here even have one.

dsc004180az.jpg

when playing American Idiot by Greenday on the player on the left, clipping is very noticable, with no EQ. when playing the album on the player on the right, there is no clipping.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
when playing American Idiot by Greenday on the player on the left, clipping is very noticable, with no EQ. when playing the album on the player on the right, there is no clipping.

Are you using mp3 or ALAC on the ipod?

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub

Thats just because the Apple has a good taste in music. While on the other hand the Samsung will use anything you put in it, musical whore.

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 34
Can someone quickly summarize what all of this means, please? I'm considering getting a 5G iPod, but I wouldn't ever be using the EQ. I don't use ALAC or MP3; just AAC. I have some pretty high quality headphones (Sennheiser HD 280), and I'm wondering if using mp3gain will help me at all. Also, is there a point to using mp3gain if you're only playing music from your iTunes library rather than from some portable player?

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Thats just because the Apple has a good taste in music. While on the other hand the Samsung will use anything you put in it, musical whore.

no no. i think its because apple tells you what 'good music' should be. fortunately, i can think for myself. you can think different, or rather, think what apple tells you to think.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back