iPod 5 vs iPod 5.5 Generation Sound Quality?
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jblparisi

New Head-Fier
Anyone that has had experience with both the iPod 5 video and 5.5 could share their opinion? I was always under the impression they were mostly identical (including their DAC) with only a few differences(search feature, brighter LCD, etc)

I searched the forums and found some contradictory reports that the 5.5 sounds substantially worse on headphone jack output compared to the earlier fith generation. I have recently acquired a 80GB 5.5 but have the choice of swapping for a 5 if that's really the case.

Thanks

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 3
From what I remember they were close. I thought the 5.5 was an improvement with my Sennheiser HD555 that I was using at the time. Whether you would notice any difference with IEMs is hard to say. I wouldn't change your 5.5 for a 5th gen. though. Prices are usually a bit more for a 5.5G. because it is an improvement albeit minor over the already good 5G.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 3
From what I remember they were close. I thought the 5.5 was an improvement with my Sennheiser HD555 that I was using at the time. Whether you would notice any difference with IEMs is hard to say. I wouldn't change your 5.5 for a 5th gen. though. Prices are usually a bit more for a 5.5G. because it is an improvement albeit minor over the already good 5G.

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find anyone to elaborate what differerences, if there was any between the 5, 5.5.

Who knows, maybe placebo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back