Ipod 5.5v. volume cap
Apr 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dacari

100+ Head-Fier
Hi !!

I've just bought an iPod 80Gb 5.5v. and I tried to patch volume cap but unsuccessfully. I tried imod and gopod. Anyone know how to patch 5.5 versions?

Thank you very much.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, there's a way, but you have to do it manually.

Follow the instructions here, about halfway down the page. Works for me and many others without any problems.

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiam_ace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You tried iMod??

There's a patch for the volume limiter that is unfortunately named iMod. No connection to Vinnie's iMod that changes your ipod headphone out to a line-out.

http://www.randgruppe.info/ipod/

edit: Just curious though....what benefit is there to patching the volume limiter? I've listened to my stock 5.5 ipod via apple ibuds and my er-4s, and I don't think I've ever hit anywhere near max volume when I played around with them.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a patch for the volume limiter that is unfortunately named iMod. No connection to Vinnie's iMod that changes your ipod headphone out to a line-out.

http://www.randgruppe.info/ipod/

edit: Just curious though....what benefit is there to patching the volume limiter? I've listened to my stock 5.5 ipod via apple ibuds and my er-4s, and I don't think I've ever hit anywhere near max volume when I played around with them.

Here in Europe, the output volume is limited. With inears or buds, you may neve need the full power. But if you connect bigger cans or perhaps the ipod to your car stereo via the headphone out, the extra power comes in quiet handy.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

edit: Just curious though....what benefit is there to patching the volume limiter? .

Well you will get deaf quickker.....
blink.gif
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 11
No real alternative in my eyes. Because it alters the files itself, boosting them and so you quickly run into clipping.

The manual way in the link i gave does in fact what gopod does: It alters the firmware in only two bits, and thus lifting the artificial volume cap. So you can use the full power of the amplifier, without altering the files at all.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 11
I assume you mp3gained the files first before using EUPOD. I'm at a loss to explain your problem with clipping especially after using mp3gain before increasing the volume within EUPOD. 91 -92 setting in mp3gain, 70% volume increase in EUPOD and I've never had any problem with clipping. I'm also using my IPOD with an amp as well, so don't know what you and I are doing different to get different results but there you have it.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 11
But why alter my files at all, if i can avoid it? Because with eupod, it's the files that are altered, not the ipod. And as you said, you have to use mp3gain, because if you don't use it, you will run into clipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also using my IPOD with an amp as well....

I meant the internal amp of the iPod, not an external one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back