iPod 5.5g SQ vs. Sansa Fuze SQ
Oct 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fancysocks

New Head-Fier
I've just upgraded my headphones and have been watching iPod 5.5 prices on eBay. Does anyone own both of these and can compare the sound? I do enjoy my Fuze, but I also like the 80GB of space, battery life (with a cheap battery upgrade), and worthwhile upgrades of amp + LOD for the iPod (something like the FiiO E7 amp with FiiO L1 LOD. I would be using Ety HF5s and Panasonic HJE900s with the setup.

Also, it seems like the iPod 5.5g /w E7 and L1 LOD would run about the same as a Cowon J3. Would that be a better option for sound quality?

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
If you Rockbox the iPod and the Fuze the SQ of both is equal. Stock I'd go w/the iPod myself.

Quote:
Um, not really.  Different hardware, different sound. 

You missed the point of what he said. What you're saying about different hardware is correct, but what nywytboy68 is saying is that with the Rockbox parametric EQ and other customizations, you can achieve your desired sound signature with either one....and he does have both, so he would know.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
You missed the point of what he said. What you're saying about different hardware is correct, but what nywytboy68 is saying is that with the Rockbox parametric EQ and other customizations, you can achieve your desired sound signature with either one....and he does have both, so he would know.
wink.gif

Thanks, I didn't realize nywytboy68  meant sound signature and not SQ.
. . .  and I have owned both, so I also would know.
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 10
If no-one minds me bumping this thread, how does 5.5G sound in comparison to an sflo2 (unamped)? The sflo2 is the best sounding player that I've ever owned, but a refurbished 80GB ipod 5.5G looks good to contain my entire music collection. On another note, does RockBox support 24-bit, 96 KHz FLAC?

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 10

Well, that's EXACTLY what I meant. Stock I don't like the SQ of the Fuze, but RB'd it's a whole 'nother ball game. The Sansa FW cripples the SQ of the player, while the RB FW allows you to enjoy it. But, if both remain stock - I'd go w/the iPod. If BOTH are RB'd you can get them to sound the way you like them, and both are winners w/RB installed.
Quote:
Thanks, I didn't realize nywytboy68  meant sound signature and not SQ.
. . .  and I have owned both, so I also would know.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back