Ipod 5.5g 80GB with rockbox or Ipod Classic 80GB
Feb 17, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 33
bought a refurbished 5.5 gen for apple a few days ago. the reason-FLAC files on an IPOD!! yeeewhooo!!! can't wait. the classics look sweet, and the extra storage is nice, but I am addicted to Flac and i need my 80gig fix.

Feb 18, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried rockbox on my 5.5 imod but it is soooo slow, I dont know if it is anything to do with the settings i have or the rb build or whatever but basically, it takes 4 minutes for a song to pause, or stop or start to play or to change to anothr track I just uninstalled it.

On my iriver h340 it is sorted no issues at all, I was wondering if this is other peoples experiences with rb on the 5.5 pod or if some tweaking on my payer could increase responsiveness?

I have my 5.5G iMod Rockbox'd and my songs pause and restart almost instantly after pressing pause/play. It does take a little longer to change tracks on different albums if I decide to listen to something else, but it is only a couple of seconds.
So I'm not sure what you did, but there is no reason that Rockbox should be taking so long on your iMod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the USB recognition on rockbox? Once I switch to rockbox, will I ever have to use iTune? Once I go rockbox, I want absolutely nothing to do with ITunes.

iTunes not needed with Rockbox. I have a couple of times had to switch my iMod over to the iPod firmware to get my laptop to recognize my iMod, but since I reinstalled the bootloader and a current version of the rockbox files, it's been all good. So if you don't want it, you will never need iTunes.

Feb 18, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 33
OK, it is just a matter of time before I get my Ipod 5.5g 80GB. I must have been one of the last to get a refurb. They are out of stock at apple.com.

I am listening to the Ipod Classic 80GB and I am not impressed about the sound out of the headphone jack. Bleh!

I hope the 5.5g is better with rockbox!

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #19 of 33
Concerning hiss: When using my 1:st gen nano, the RB firmware notisably reduces the hiss compared to the default apple firmware. One downside though of the RB firmware, is the poor battery life. Otherwise, I just love the RB firmware! Next time I buy a hdd based player, I will make sure it's supported by RB. Too bad these refurbed 5g ones aren´t available in Sweden
redface.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES
I have my 5.5G iMod Rockbox'd and my songs pause and restart almost instantly after pressing pause/play. It does take a little longer to change tracks on different albums if I decide to listen to something else, but it is only a couple of seconds.
So I'm not sure what you did, but there is no reason that Rockbox should be taking so long on your iMod.

Im gonna uninstall and reinstall again and see if I can sort it, there is no isse with functionality, everything works fine, it just takes an AGE for it to respond
confused.gif

I have used rockbox for the past 3 years on my h340 so I am very familiar with the firmware.

p.s. thanks for the reply

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im gonna uninstall and reinstall again and see if I can sort it, there is no isse with functionality, everything works fine, it just takes an AGE for it to respond
confused.gif

I have used rockbox for the past 3 years on my h340 so I am very familiar with the firmware.

p.s. thanks for the reply

It's the "AGEs to respond" that I'm not sure why you're having to deal with, as my 5.5G iMod doesn't have those issues. Hopefully it'll go away and all will be well. Good Luck.
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, it is just a matter of time before I get my Ipod 5.5g 80GB. I must have been one of the last to get a refurb. They are out of stock at apple.com.

I am listening to the Ipod Classic 80GB and I am not impressed about the sound out of the headphone jack. Bleh!

I hope the 5.5g is better with rockbox!

You can always use SRS IWOWs iTunes plug-in, I didn't like the ipods headphone out either, but your ipod linked up via the line out dock right to your com into itunes with iwow will floor you with the difference in audio quality. You can also set iwows settings in itunes and synch it with the presets in your ipod to use iwow while not connected to your com.

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 33
For those that are having issues with RB taking "ages" to respond to commands regarding navigation and playback... turn on directory caching. This is different than loading the database to RAM, and took me quite awhile to figure out (it's under Settings > General Settings > System > Disck > Directory Cache).

It makes all the difference in the world, and makes me feel quite a bit less guilty about putting my wonderful--if somewhat decrepit--Karmas out to pasture, so to speak.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #26 of 33
Go with the 5.5G. I haven't heard both DAPs, so I cannot compare the SQ, but the 5.5G would be a better buy in the long run even if its SQ was a bit worse. You will have a possiblity of turning it into an iMod and then buying a dock which will give you quite a decent source for home listening (at least so they say). That's my own plan and right now I'm at the iMod-without-dock-yet stage.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 33
Hi there,
i found this old thread but it was not so useful... can you please tell me the differences between this two ipod models??

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353?viewlocale=it_it&locale=it_it#ipodclassic

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353?viewlocale=it_it&locale=it_it#ipodfifth2

Can I install in both rockbox? And what about the hardware? Is the same or one is better (about DAC for example)?

Thanks to all!

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:
Hi there,
i found this old thread but it was not so useful... can you please tell me the differences between this two ipod models??

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353?viewlocale=it_it&locale=it_it#ipodclassic

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1353?viewlocale=it_it&locale=it_it#ipodfifth2

Can I install in both rockbox? And what about the hardware? Is the same or one is better (about DAC for example)?

Thanks to all!

The first link to the "Classic" iPod refers to their Generation 6 and Gen 7 players.  I have not heard a Gen 6 or 7, so I can't personally comment on the sound.  However, some have said the sound in the Gen 7 is good.  I'm not sure how it compares to the 2nd link you provided, though.  The 2nd link is to the Gen 5 (ver. 5.5, Video, Classic) - usually known or described under all those names, and does feature the Wolfson DAC in it.  The Gen 6 and 7 varieties use the Cirrus DAC (according to Wiki).

All versions of the "Classic" (5.5, 6 and 7) should be compatible with Rockbox, based on the research that I've recently done as I was considering going to a Gen 7 player.  However, the only thing I feel that it would get me is a few more hours of play time between charges and the extra storage capacity.  But, the 5, or 5.5 can also be modified to accept a 128GB Compact Flash card (or even larger sizes) with a special adapter that runs about $20.00.  To me, taking a Gen 5, 5.5 player and giving it a boost of solid state memory seems like a viable option.  These players are too good to kick to the curb even though they are 5+ years old now.  I picked up 4 of them for about $120 a few weeks ago.  Of the 4, I have between two or three working players, with one or two of them acting as parts for when they are needed.  

Jul 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #29 of 33
It's hard to beat the ipod's (5g and classic) UI along with rockbox, period. It makes other daps (high end or low end) look like toys. Well, sound is another topic.
wink_face.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #30 of 33
hi all :) i just rockbox on my ipod 5.5g 80gb and i love it, but one qwirk... the function to use the scroll wheel to jump within the track seems to be missing. I would appreciate this functionality because i have 2 hour mixes in my library :p.:need that (in stock firmware) but in rockbox just in rockbox. Can anyone help? thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back