Ipod 5.5g 80GB - How do I increase the storage?
Nov 17, 2015 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mikebeauchamp

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I know there's a billion-page thread on SSD mods for the iPod. But I wanted to ask, what's the most stable way to upgrade the storage on this beast to at least 256GB? Specific part numbers if possible.

I use rockbox and I don't want to be fussing around with software and getting buggy stuff to work.

Does the 2X microSD card mod work good and stable? I like the idea of being able to increase the storage down the road.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 3
The reason the thread is so long is that the process and technology has rapidly evolved. It began with searching for compatible ZIF SSDs, and branched out to other options as the technologies became available and as prices changed. I doubt the mods here would want a new thread started for each and every iteration of SSD upgrade, so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets merged with the monster thread.

If you're looking for 256-ish GB, you can find plenty of cheap 240GB HDDs that will serve as a seamless replacement for the iPod's original drive. It's not SSD, but it's the closest you can get to a "bullet proof" option, and will require the least amount of fussing.

SSDs are a different story, and prices can change on a daily basis. As I type this, your best bet for a 256GB upgrade is probably SDXC cards with Tarkan's iFlash adapter series. SD card upgrades of that size are probably going to be cheaper than mSATA (which would be the cheapest option for 1TB, and maybe even for 512GB). Each option has it's own strengths and weaknesses. SD cards can be cheap, but can have painfully slow transfer speeds. They also can wear out, and in my experience, they wear out faster than HDD, CF or mSATA options.

I have been very happy with my mSATA upgrades, but I know they can need persuasion and a patched version of Rockbox to get working. You specifically asked for SSD options, so that leaves you with two viable choices: CF (still expensive, but a little more reliable), or SD (cheap and dirty). My advice would be to check out the prices of various media (CF or SDXC) in the size you want. Tarkan now offers an adapter which can host two SD cards, so if you want 256GB, it may be cheaper to get two 128GB cards (which is what I've just done). I was shocked to see that prices have come down on SD cards to the point where it isn't always a given that two smaller cards will be cheaper than one big card.

Before you place your order, go to http://www.tarkan.info and check for the adapter that will match your media. You might want to make sure the SD card brand, speed and size have been listed on Tarkan's list of working cards. If the price of that, combined with the price of the media, is within your budget, go ahead and pull the trigger.

You'll find installation instructions on Tarkan's site, or in your favorite 457-page thread. :)

edit: typo on Tarkan's URL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back