iPod 5.5 vs 6?
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tem

100+ Head-Fier
What do people think about the iPod Video/Classic 5.5g vs the 6g as in terms of SQ and overall?

I ask because some kid is giving me a somewhat brand new 5.5 80GB for like $80. Was just curious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 23
There is absolutely no difference in sound quality. The main difference between the two is that the 80 gig 5.5g seems to perform a bit better because it has more RAM than the smaller 5.5g and it doesn't have to contend with cover flow. But I would exchange that small difference in performance for the 160 gig Classic any day of the week.

See ya
Steve

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 23
IMO, there is a definite difference in SQ between these two Oo
The 6g sounds less analytic to me and therefore pleases me more.
And it has a better bass performance... but "better" is relative to everyone
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 23
What does 'analytic' sound like?

I suspect you're talking about the headphone out. I don't use that. I use the line outs which sound identical.

See ya
Steve

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 23
For $80, you'd be crazy to pass up an 80gig 5.5. A great device. don't worry about SQ difference, they're minimal.

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 23
that and the 5.5 is an amazing sounding player! i thought it was for the pigs and lesser beings as i was a purist who would never touch ipod as i had iaudio and meizu. then i gave the 5.5 a good long listen.

i sold the d2, still have the meizu as rockbox is going along well on it. the ipod 5.5 or 6 are amazing players even from the headphone out.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does 'analytic' sound like?

I suspect you're talking about the headphone out. I don't use that. I use the line outs which sound identical.

See ya
Steve

Right, i was talking about the HP-out. There is big difference!
I haven't listened to the 5.5g LOD, but i suspect it to sound identical to the 6g
wink.gif

The question is, wether the TO uses the HP-out or LOD...
wink.gif

But 80$ is indeed a steal. I would go for it (using the LOD)!

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 23
5.5 - Better finish on the face, can't see stratches as much. Cheap, thin, amazing

6 - scratches way too easily, cheap, don't need the "new interface" on it

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm kinda on the same wagon here. I need something bigger than 30G but can't decide between 5.5gen 80G or 6gen 80G. I love the new bettery time on 6 gen but I'd hate to see the menus bugging on me. Only if there's a rockbox for 6 gen.
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 23
They basically sound the same, I found the bass on the 6G sounded a bit fuller, but nothing big.

The only difference is the capacity and design of the hardware and software basically.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 23
I've been hearing so many bad things about 6G lately but I don't think I wanna wait till 7G which I think will come out sometime at the end of this year or early next year.

Does anyone have 160G? If so, how's navigating thru the menus?

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is absolutely no difference in sound quality. The main difference between the two is that the 80 gig 5.5g seems to perform a bit better because it has more RAM than the smaller 5.5g and it doesn't have to contend with cover flow. But I would exchange that small difference in performance for the 160 gig Classic any day of the week.

See ya
Steve

Once again Big Stevie (can I call you Big Stevie? Sweet.) comes along and takes the words right out of my mouth. I've never been able to tell the difference (particularly from the lineout) on any gen of iPod Ive had. Either way they both sound sweet, and if you don't buy a 5.5g 80 gig for 80 bucks, you should spend the 80 bucks on shortbus tickets. Thats a dollar a gig!

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 23
Discussed ad nauseum already, but I still maintain there is definitely a noticeable difference between the two, even after going back to the store recently for another audition/comparison. 5.5G = smooth, warm, non-fatiguing. 6G = harsh, overly bright, grainy-sounding. Plenty of people dig the Classic's SQ--more power to them... Just not for my ears.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 23
Since sound quality differences are minimal between the two, Classic wins in my book.

Because it's metal. Not effing easily-scratched Lucite.

More things need to be made out of metal these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back