iPod 5.5 SQ?
Jul 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
one last question sorry, but is there a noticeable difference between sq in an ipod video 5g and 5.5g? I have heard they use the same chips from some people, then differently from others.

The SQ was/is the same, as only the capacity and battery life we're really changed (and alphabetical search was added). You've got nothing to worry about (I've owned both, still have the 5.5G, as it's the 80gb model).

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 31
Hey all, seems like the 5.5 is still on top!

I was gonna try to give Rockboxing a shot.

Should I find some instructional threads or is it a straightforward thing?

May 29, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #20 of 31
Thread revival (sorry about that :p)

Anyway, Since I'm vastly disappointed with the (backup) DAP I bought the other day (Philips GoGear Ariaz), I'm thinking of asking my dad for his old iPod. I'm not entirely sure whether it was a 5/5.5G or the "Classic" one, but I vaguely remember the front being plastic, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, out of curiosity, would anyone say that a Voodoo-modded Galaxy S sounds better than a RockBoxed iPod Classic? Depending on the answer, I may just give away the Ariaz for free, or at the very least have it refunded. 

May 29, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 31
The rockboxed 5G with a little hardware tweaking for my EX1000 has absolutely convinced me this is ALL and the only gear I need. That sound staging and 3D imaging make me drunk if not sick in heaven.
wink_face.gif

May 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
The rockboxed 5G with a little hardware tweaking for my EX1000 has absolutely convinced me this is ALL and the only gear I need. That sound staging and 3D imaging make me drunk if not sick in heaven.
wink_face.gif

Define hardware tweaking. Depending on how much modding I'll have to do, I may just shell out cash for a dumbphone and turn my SGS into a dedicated DAP. Sorry, I'm not very good with DIYs and the like.

May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:
Define hardware tweaking. Depending on how much modding I'll have to do, I may just shell out cash for a dumbphone and turn my SGS into a dedicated DAP. Sorry, I'm not very good with DIYs and the like.

Sorry I should have been more specific about he hardware tweaking. By that I only meant the bass/treble adjustment from rockbox. Nothing fancy like the DIY modding.

May 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:
Sorry I should have been more specific about he hardware tweaking. By that I only meant the bass/treble adjustment from rockbox. Nothing fancy like the DIY modding.

Ah, alright. That puts me at ease, since I've got a reasonable amount of experience with the like of flashing ROMs, modifying firmware, etc. Looks like the question of whether or not I'm going to try and find an old 5.5G iPod has become a bit of a no-brainer. Also, I could use an LOD to bypass the internal amp and DAC when I want to improve the SQ, right?

P.S.
Turns out my dad's old iPod has a metal front, so it's one of the newer ones. What's the cheapest I can get a 5.5G iPod in mint condition nowadays? None that I could see in the F/S section, but it's been a while since I looked. Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #27 of 31
I have a 6th revision classic also known as the 7th gen. Yes it is rockboxed and with etymotic hf5 headphones it sounds simply amazing. I have audiophile ears I change nothing but treble and bass I hate artificial audio. My settings are treble 10.5 and bass 4.5 and stereo width 120%. Now I have a 5.5 iPod rock boxed as well and I don't know what the hype is about the wolfson dac the audio is inaccurate and mushy and I found myself going back to my 7th gen. People complain about the 7th having a lack of 3d imaging well the stereo widening achieves this without overkill. I feel that accuracy of the cirrcus chip by far provides an in concert feel as the Wolfson a more well 3d driven sound. I have 24 bit flacs and the concerts come alive on the 7th and are reduced to a mere recording on the 5.5.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #28 of 31
The iPod 5g/5.5g's are God's gifts. It has both inner and outer beauty, you can do many things yourself not only to improve the sound but enjoy the rewarding experience....

1. Replace any parts.
2. Swap the stock hdd's to SSD's (my favorite is 128GB CF).
3. The CF swap improves the battery tremendously, lighten the dap and free the space for internal caps.
4. DIYmod to purify the sound (oh man this is fun with all the caps and good luck with soldering those tiny lod pins).
5. Rockbox (cost free & hassle free) it and then personalize it.

Do I need to say more?
wink_face.gif

OK I admit I am a 5gaholic.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #29 of 31
Haha I'd say you are a 5g aholic. You know with the 6th and 7th no soldering is needed. The circitury is simplified to work out the jack and is DAC optimized to be as you said "pure" I have a 5.5 240 GB with the extended battery so I do use both. Also the flash pod can be used with either or.. And of course in love me some rock box :) and yes it is stable for the 7th with an encore boot loader. You should give the 7th a try with rock box and a little tweaking you will be extremely surprised of what it is capable of. Like I stated above I love the Wolfson 3d imaging it provides big soundstage but as far as natural audio the 7th is a clarity junkies dream at the expense of that big soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back