iPod 5.5 gen - still any good?
Dec 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

networkned

New Head-Fier
Hi.
Newbie on here, and wanted to first post in the correct place without this getting lost in the official iPod thread.
My Sony NWZ-A816 has finally died and I'm looking at a 'new' portable rig.
I've read loads of info on here about 5th gen iPods and the fact that they can be modded to install Rockbox, increase storage and fit new batteries and so on.
I've got the opportunity to get hold of a 5.5 gen one in decent condition for sensible money, but is it still any good? Are there any other decent sounding DAPs it there for <£100 which I should be looking at instead?
Thanks.

Dec 25, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 2
Just searched and found this thread. I'm kind of in the same position. I have been absolutely in love with the rockbox firmware and have installed in on every single generation of Sansa clips. However, for a few years now I have been trying to find an alternative player since I love the navigation and playlist features of rockbox. The project is quite behind now due to how much effort it takes to port RB to a new device. There has been a huge influx of affordable hifi players (Fiio etc) that seem to be better than modded ipod videos, and from what I have read it seems like they are the better choice.

I'm just stuck with rockbox because I really enjoy the firmware itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back