ipod 5.5 30gb vs 80gb: Rockbox
Sep 12, 2008 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy a 5.5 gen ipod so that I can run rockbox on it. I was wondering, do the 80gb ipod and the 30gb ipod use the same version of rockbox, or does the 80gb use its own version. If so, is the 80gb version of rockbox any less stable/efficient than the 30gb version? Thanks.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 17
if I were you I would grab a 5.5g of any colour

you can then replace the shell casing from ebay.

Also while your inside you can upgrade the hard disc up to 180gb and bump up the battery to whatever is available now

You can also imod it and buy an LOD

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Junesequa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if I were you I would grab a 5.5g of any colour

you can then replace the shell casing from ebay.

Also while your inside you can upgrade the hard disc up to 180gb and bump up the battery to whatever is available now

You can also imod it and buy an LOD

Where on ebay can I find new casing and batteries. If I were to do that would I be better of buying a used ipod or a refurb one? And where can I find the bigger hard drives and what is an LOD? Sorry im such a newb...

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where on ebay can I find new casing and batteries.

Casing:

SILVER APPLE VIDEO IPOD BACK COVER 30 GB A1136 5 GEN - eBay (item 160239059805 end time Oct-06-08 10:00:57 PDT)

Batteries:

New Replacement Battery for iPod Video 5th Gen 5 / 5.5 - eBay (item 320297792335 end time Sep-17-08 10:48:19 PDT)

Quote:

And where can I find the bigger hard drives and what is an LOD? Sorry im such a newb...

Hard Drive:

NEW iPOD VIDEO Toshiba 80GB MK8010GAH 1.8" HARD DRIVE - eBay (item 290259817478 end time Sep-17-08 16:59:11 PDT)

LOD = Line Out Dock, see below:

iPod Line Out to Stereo Headphone Amplifier Dock Cable - eBay (item 230290592247 end time Sep-18-08 22:25:42 PDT)

Cheers

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 17
Right now, where is the best place to buy a refurbished ipod? Are all of the ones that I see on ebay and amazon refurbished by apple, or are they refurbished by a 3rd party? Some claim to be "certified refurbished" but does that mean anything?

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Right now, where is the best place to buy a refurbished ipod? Are all of the ones that I see on ebay and amazon refurbished by apple, or are they refurbished by a 3rd party? Some claim to be "certified refurbished" but does that mean anything?

If you want the current gen (Classic), try here:

The Apple Store (U.S.)

If you're still aiming at Rockbox, then I'd recommend eBay. I think the 80GB 5.5 iPods are going for around $200ish

I just picked up an 80GB Classic at my university bookstore for Apple's clearance price; gotta love instant gratification
L3000.gif

SQ beats the snot outta my old 3G model (now retired), jury's still out compared to the Clip though (gotta do some A/B comparisons). Gonna get an iBasso and use the LOD once my wallet gets out of the hospital anyways
smily_headphones1.gif
[Team College-Fi]

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 17
I definately want a refurbished 5.5, which I will take and replace the shell on. Am I wrong to be skeptical about the refurbished ones on ebay? Are they really refurbished enough to where they are in "new" working condition? The ones on ebay aren't actually refurbished by apple are they?

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I definately want a refurbished 5.5, which I will take and replace the shell on. Am I wrong to be skeptical about the refurbished ones on ebay? Are they really refurbished enough to where they are in "new" working condition? The ones on ebay aren't actually refurbished by apple are they?

ebay can be a crap-shoot. I'd recommend reading the full auction listing to see if the pics are of the actual item instead of stock pics.

As to the whole "refurbished" quality thing. "Refurbished" can mean different things from different vendors, some will have a link in their listing explaining what their definition of refurbished is.

I've always done well on eBay as far as not getting anything in unexpectedly crappy condition. There is risk involved, but most of the issues that can come with an ipod will be remedied by replacing the shell, battery, HD, etc. I wouldn't worry too much. I contemplated going this route myself until I decided the iBasso & LOD was definitely the way to go for my own use.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back