iPod 5.5 240GB + RedWine iMod VS. other DAP (550$ range)
Dec 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
Hello HeadFiers,

I'm considering buying a DAP.

My first idea was to order this: http://www.ipodzens.com/ipz_prductinfo.aspx?prd_id=321  (iPod Classis Video - 5.5 Gen 240GB - 295$)
And let them ship it to Red Wine Audio to mod it http://redwineaudio.com/mods/imod (250$)

They still would have to ship it overseas. This means shipping and certainly also TAX.

Together 545$ without shipping or tax.

Do you think that this is worth it? Or are there better (sounding) solutions in this price range, also regarding the storage.

Thank You for any advice

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm using such a DAP. It sounds good. I got this imod set, first cause I'm using iTunes to manage my music and secondly the UI of the ipod is the easiest to use. IMO The newer AK 100 ver.1.2 or the AK 120 are better as they can play the new high resolution music files and sound wise there is an improvement. For the cost I would go for the newer models.just my pov. Cheers☺️

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm using such a DAP. It sounds good. I got this imod set, first cause I'm using iTunes to manage my music and secondly the UI of the ipod is the easiest to use. IMO The newer AK 100 ver.1.2 or the AK 120 are better as they can play the new high resolution music files and sound wise there is an improvement. For the cost I would go for the newer models.just my pov. Cheers☺️

Well, I guess you can still RockBox the iPod

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 7

Large mp3 collection? - go for imod. 

If you plan to rip cd's in flac then there are better options: AK, iBasso etc.
I have iBasso DX50 and few rockboxed imods. For mp3 imod is better imo. But when it comes to higher resolution files, it can't compete with iBasso. 80Mh vs 1000Mh cpu!

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Mostly Flacs, from 16 to 24bit also various khz ...  Thought when rockboxed the ipod 5.5 and imod should be a reasonable source.

I just started to understand that the stock headphone jack is not modded, so the mod is only for line out. So using an amp is mandatory 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back