iPod 4G vs. 5G vs. 5.5G
Nov 20, 2011 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

feteru

New Head-Fier
I currently have an iPod 4G 20GB which I am borrowing from a friend, who was not using it. I would like to get one for myself, as I feel bad using theirs, and I also would like a color screen. I could get the iPod 5G with 30GB of space for $60 online, or I could get the iPod 5.5G with 80GB of space for $100 from a friend. I have heard that the 5.5G is the best, as well as the fact that I wouldn't have to pay shipping/PayPal whatever. Also, I may need the extra space as I plan to start digitizing my record collection and more of my cd's soon. What do you guys think? Right now I am leaning towards the 5.5G from a friend. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 20
more comparisons here: http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 20
for even better sound you can have a 4g or 5.5g made into an imod by red wine audio. the 4g uses the headphone out jack to connect to your amp with a mini-mini cable. the 5.5g being thinner requires a special lod with capacitors built into it as it's there's no room inside for them.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
for even better sound you can have a 4g or 5.5g made into an imod by red wine audio. the 4g uses the headphone out jack to connect to your amp with a mini-mini cable. the 5.5g being thinner requires a special lod with capacitors built into it as it's there's no room inside for them.

Even though the 5.5G is the thick 80GB one, does it still need the special lod? I really don't want to spend $200 on a cable. Also, my current ipod 4G is not the photo, so the screen is sorta abominable, which I would like to change...chances are, I wouldn't iMod it, as I would rather move up the headphone tree.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 20
with the 5.5G he cannot fit the caps necessary for the iMod within the chassis hence the need for a special lod. some folks have done diy versions but i don't know if they've succeed in doing it as a cable or only in a separate enclosure. sometimes the various cables, or even iMods show up in the FS forum.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 20
I am going to have to get a 5.5G, purely to be able to report on how much better the T51 is in terms of SQ ! 
wink.gif

(in virtually every other way, I'd prefer the 1G Shuffle to the T51).

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 20

Thats all subjective not a fact. Many think the 6g and 7g sound better and have a cleaner signal especially out of the Line out..
Quote:
You can't go wrong with the 5.5G - it has the nicest DAC of any iPod and will last you longer with the increased storage capacity.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Thats all subjective not a fact. Many think the 6g and 7g sound better and have a cleaner signal especially out of the Line out..

I've never seen anyone say here that they preferred the 6g to the 5.5.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:

I've never seen anyone say here that they preferred the 6g to the 5.5.

I prefer the SQ of the 6G Nano to that of any iPod I have ever owned or heard - I just loathe the form factor. If this is a 'Wolfson vs Cirrus' thing, that is soooo 2008.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
I prefer the SQ of the 6G Nano to that of any iPod I have ever owned or heard - I just loathe the form factor. If this is a 'Wolfson vs Cirrus' thing, that is soooo 2008.

Just for clarity's sake, in case someone else comes in to this,  I was referring to the 6G hard drive iPod.....the first one called "Classic", in comparison to the 5.5G hard drive iPod called the "Video". Never heard anyone prefer the 6G Classic to the 5.5G Video....but I have heard good things about the 7G Classic.

I like both my 4G Touch and 4G Shuffle quite a lot, sound-wise...but I have no Classic, Video,  or Nano to compare them to.
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote: Originally Posted by estreeter  I prefer the SQ of the 6G Nano to that of any iPod I have ever owned or heard - I just loathe the form factor. If this is a 'Wolfson vs Cirrus' thing, that is soooo 2008. Just for clarity's sake, in case someone else comes in to this,  I was referring to the 6G hard drive iPod.....the first one called "Classic", in comparison to the 5.5G hard drive iPod called the "Video". Never heard anyone prefer the 6G Classic to the 5.5G Video....but I have heard good things about the 7G Classic.   I like both my 4G Touch and 4G Shuffle quite a lot, sound-wise...but I have no Classic, Video,  or Nano to compare them to.

Both Vinnie from rwa and kb from all both said the 6g sounded better. You should go back and read apparently the threads when the 6g came out and you would see most people preceded the classic to its brethren. Whenever I get back home to my of I will post links for the discussions in the past.

sent from my HTC thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 20
That's Vinnie from red wine audio who makes the Imodium and kb from alo audio.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
That's Vinnie from red wine audio who makes the Imodium and kb from alo audio.

I just looked at all the prices on their respective websites, for  all the various cables,  and just about crapped myself. Imodium, that is needed for sure!
eek.gif
After seeing this list of cable prices, I wouldn't put any stock in what those two said.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 20

If you think those are high you should see qables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back