iPod 4g: I need some new 'phones!
Aug 17, 2004 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jboehle

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just got an iPod 40gb 4th gen unit and extremely pleased with the portability. I can't imagine going back to carrying CDs around with me all the time. I currently use Senn HD280Pro at home, which I love, but they're not that portable, they make me look like a goof, and I hate carrying them between work and home every day. I have Senn HD497s at work right now but the sound is dry and uninvolving, I need to get some new 'phones for work! I would like something portable, small enough to stick in a pocket, so I could take it with me on dog walks, car trips, etc. But then again at work I take off/put on my headphones all the time, so don't know if canalphones would be the best there (too much of a pain to remove/put on constantly?). I'm not opposed to purchasing two sets of 'phones, one for the office and one for portability, but as I'm not loaded with money would definitely prefer a better single set of phones than having to settle with two sets of mediocre sound.

For the portable set I'd like something that will work unamped from the ipod. Maybe the new Ety ER6i? Or should I go all out and get the Ety 4p? The Shure E5 are just too expensive for my taste. Maybe the Shure E3c or E2? Other things I've thought of for portability: Koss KSC35 or Porta/Sporta Pros.

I'm afraid with the canalphone isolation that walking the dog and stuff I'd be paranoid of not hearing things around me. Maybe I should stick with an open phone?

As for the office sit down, I suppose I could get another set of Senn HD280, but I'd like to try something new. Alessandro MS-1? Grado SR-80 or 125? Senn HD580? I read somewhere that the Senn HD580's w/ the HD650 screen mod makes them much more like the HD600/650, and at a bargain price compared. I could get the HD580s for around $150, that seems like a good deal for what used to be a top-of-the-line headphone set. Unfortunately seems like I would really need an amp for any of those...

I wouldn't be opposed to trying some Beyers or anything else for that matter. Just don't have tons of money or time to audition all the different 'phones.

BTW I listen mainly to alternative/garage-band rock, with some rap and jazz mixed in.

TIA for your thoughts!

EDIT: Whatever phones I get need to be comfortable enough and non-fatiguing for extended listening (like all day at work).

-Jason

Aug 17, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 12
My personal suggestion, get whatever you like for work and keep them there. Buy something cheapish but of decent listenning quality (Koss portapro type stuff?) for when you're in transit. That way, you have open cans so you don't have to worry about traffic (and when on the street/bus, you shouldn't be listenning to them that loud anyways), plus if they get busted/stolen/whatever, you aren't out a priceless, broken-in, close friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

A typical open Senn/Grado/etc is a waste for transit, they will sound the same or worse than something like a portapro because of the background noise -- unless you listen to them loudly -- in which case you are asking to get smacked/glared at, and for the added hearing damage.

I don't know about your experiences but I find bass lacking on the iPod 3G with Sennheiser headphones (fine with Grado), particularly the 280, and, of course, I refuse to use the EQ cause it sounds like crud.
smily_headphones1.gif
I use the short-lived Superdual with the HD280 and its bass boost on or off depending on the environment. YMMV/YEarsMV

Aug 17, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 12
I agree with a prior response that suggested having a pair of headphones for work that you leave at work and a set for walking the dog or commuting. For the latter, I use Senn PX100s. I use them at the gym. They sound great and coming from an iPod unamped they are hard to beat. They cost around $40 and come with a 2 year warranty that Sennheiser really honors. Mine broke and I mailed them in and Sennheiser sent me a new pair.

At the office I listen to the iPod with Senn HD650s that I leave at the office with a TAH. It sounds great.

I agree with you about the iPod. I have never heard a really good CD player and I am sure it would sound better than the iPod. But I'm not about to bring a CD player and a bunch of CDs to the office. So I use the iPod and a small amp whenever I can and when an amp isn't convenient (like at the gym) I use the iPod with the PX100s. It doesn't sound as nice but it still sounds good and there's lots of noise at the gym anyway.

Yesterday, I ordered the SR-71. It looks well matched in size to the iPod and the reviews are great. I plan to use it at home and when I travel. I leave the TAH at the office. Except at the office I tend not to sit still when I listen to music. So a CD player doesn't really fit the way I live.

This turned out to be a long answer. But before you spend a lot of money on headphones I strongly suggest you try the PX100s. They sound better than other headphones costing $150 in my opinion. Canal phones have never appealed to me as I don't like the idea of sticking something in my ear canal.

Please let us know what you end up with. My iPod has become perhaps my most prized possession -- especially as I've added music I love. Enjoy.

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi all and thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately earbuds have never worked for me. Something about the shape of my ears, I just can't keep them in place. I end up having to wedge them into my canal and then they're just uncomfortable.

Also on the PX100s, I have a friend with a pair of PXC250s and while the noise-cancelling on those is nice, the little pads that sit on my big ears just weren't that comfortable. I would expect the PX100 to be much the same comfort-wise.

I would prefer something that is big enough to completely enclose my ear....either that or something to stick in my ear I guess. Do they make over-the-ear mounted earbuds? That would at least keep them in place.

devwild, I agree that the HD280 already lacks in bass and the iPod makes the situation even worse. Plus the iPod EQ introduces distortion IMO, so I can't use that to compensate.

Keep the suggestions rolling!

-Jason

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 12
The PX100's have open foam earpads that lie flat against the ear. They are not the mini pleather cups of the PXC250. They are really comfortable and I even sometimes forget they are on. If you are looking for a full sized headphone then why not try the Senn HD555. These are efficient enough to run off of an ipod and will offer you great sound quality.

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
For the portable set I'd like something that will work unamped from the ipod. Maybe the new Ety ER6i? Or should I go all out and get the Ety 4p? The Shure E5 are just too expensive for my taste. Maybe the Shure E3c or E2? Other things I've thought of for portability: Koss KSC35 or Porta/Sporta Pros.
-Jason

Jason,
For true portability you can't beat IEM's, try the new ety's or the e3's (you can always sell them here at little loss)

Newguy,
Congratulations on your new purchase, get ready for a NEW most prized possession!
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Well, I just bought a portable line-out for my iPod (for use at work, into a headphone amp eventually), and also used-but-in-mint-condition Grado SR-225 headphones. The Grados are for the office. Since I mainly listen to rock I figure I should give the reputed "King of Rock" headphones a try.
smily_headphones1.gif
The biggest downside I see is that they might not be comfortable enough to wear all day. But who knows until I get them.

I know the Grados are low-impedance and can be driven by the iPod, but from everything I read, they really shine with a high-current amp. I have a Pimeta I built laying around that I never use. Also have a PPA that I built but don't use. I guess I will use one of those for now. Anyone care to comment on Grado RA-1 vs. Pimeta vs. PPA when used with Grado 'phones?

I think I will probably get the ER6i for portable use, eventually. But since I'm broke after buying the Grados I think I will just go with the PX100s for the short run. Who knows, maybe I will like those well enough to not want to upgrade (not likely!).

Thanks for all of your replies! And by all means if anyone has anything else to add, feel free to add to this thread!

-Jason

Aug 18, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 12
From everything I've read about the Grados, I think you're probably right. Although everyone that has them seems to love the sound so much, I hope you're wrong!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just don't understand why Grado continues to make an entire line of headphones that are uncomfortable to wear! Take that with a grain of salt though, as I've never owned or put on a set of Grado 'phones. That observation is based solely on what I've read at Headwize & Head-Fi.

I'll be sure to report back as soon as I have the Grados!

If I had unlimited funds, from everything I've read here, I'd also buy the Audio Technica A900 and the Sennheiser HD595, and audition both against the Grados....alas my pockets are not lined with $100 bills (or even $5 bills for that matter).

I've decided to perfect my at-office listening first, as I sit there 8 hours every day, which is way more than I use portable 'phones.

-Jason

Aug 18, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
The biggest downside I see is that they might not be comfortable enough to wear all day. But who knows until I get them.

If you have any problems with them, do the Sennheiser HD414 pad mod, or put up the dough for the flats. I have the Sennheiser pads (with holes cut) and I have no problem wearing them all day long. There is also no doubt (imho) that it improves the sound.

The Senn pads are so cheap that it's worth a try just to see for yourself if you like them better.

Also, don't forget you can stretch the band, just don't do it too much.

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Temptation got the best of me and I also purchased a pair of AT A900's from a fellow Head-Fi member this morning. It will be very interesting to compare the A900 and SR-225.

I also ordered the parts today to build myself a Voldemort amp (that one amp who "must not be named" at Head-Fi). As much as I hate doing amp casework, I figure it wouldn't be fair if I didn't try the Grado's out with a synergistic amp. I will probably dust off my PPA and give it a shot with both cans as well.

I'll be sure to post my impressions next week!

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back