iPod 40-Hour Battery
Mar 4, 2004 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know if this has been posted before, but it's news to me.

_________

BTI Intros Their Own iPod Battery (3/3/2004)

Battery Technology, Inc. (BTI) a leading manufacturer of batteries and power adapters for notebook computers and digital cameras, officially announced The iPod Battery - their latest consumer power product that will compliment the Apple iPod line of products. The iPod Battery will offer up to 40 hours of music play-time or down-load time (per charge) for the wildly popular iPod MP3 player.

Designed for most iPod users, The iPod Battery comes with interchangeable cradles that allows the battery to easily connect to the different iPod models, including the third generation iPod, the iPod Mini and second generation iPod (with dock connection). BTI's battery will provide up to 40 hours of music playtime or download time per charge and has a USB port that allows the user to charge a cellular telephone, PDA or Palm device.

BTI has been working with Apple Corp. to ensure that the product meets all technical requirements and has been permitted to source their proprietary charging connector. The lithium ion battery can be charged an average of 350 times and will send power directly to the iPod without charging the internal battery (by design) which allows the iPod Battery to power the iPod even if the internal battery will no longer hold a charge.

"The iPod Battery is being marketed as the perfect solution for travel, long commutes or if it is going to be a long time between charging access" said David Sarazen, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Battery Technology, Inc. "iPod users will be able to go for a week or more without charging their iPod and more important, when the internal original battery begins to fail, BTI has a solution to keep the music playing."

The iPod Battery will be available in North America and will be available in Europe during the second quarter of 2004.

http://www.batterytech.com

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 15
too bad it so bulky and ugly... (IMO)
But I guess, for travelers, the extra 40h is worth it.

iPOD.jpg

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 15
Egads, what a monstrosity.

Yuck... I'd break out a soldering iron and build my own high tech AA pack or buy the Belkin one long before I'd ever consider something like this.

br0adband

Mar 4, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 15
Holy god that thing is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.... Even the 40 hours sounds extremely impressive, wouldn't that thing kind of cut down on the portable nature of the iPod? Looks kinda big and bulky. I'm sure it'll do great for people who travel a lot, but damn...

Mar 4, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 15
I guess I'm alone in this but I don't think it's all that ugly...I think the belkin solution is much uglier, and will end up costing more when you factor in the cost of batteries. If I spent much time flying, or in transit, I'd definitally be interested in one of these.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
I guess I'm alone in this but I don't think it's all that ugly...I think the belkin solution is much uglier, and will end up costing more when you factor in the cost of batteries. If I spent much time flying, or in transit, I'd definitally be interested in one of these.

It wouldn't cost more if you decide to use rechargable NiMH (like me). That's the way to go on the Belkin.

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 15
It is decidedly not as clean as the iPod, and quite a bit bulkier too, but jeez folks, 40 hours? Sure, if you plan on walking around with it in your pocket, its overkill-but for someone like, say a businessperson who is going to be away for a weeksh its much easier than bringing a cable or dock.

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:37 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by oneeyedhobbit
It is decidedly not as clean as the iPod, and quite a bit bulkier too, but jeez folks, 40 hours? Sure, if you plan on walking around with it in your pocket, its overkill-but for someone like, say a businessperson who is going to be away for a weeksh its much easier than bringing a cable or dock.

Personally, I travel a lot with work and if i was away for a week, i'd take the charger as it'd only take up about as much space as that battery and wouldn't turn the player into something that even archos would look at and go damn thats ugly.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back