Ipod 3rd Generation with 4 buttons
Jul 7, 2007 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bisco82

100+ Head-Fier
How good was the Ipod that had the click wheel with the four buttons on top of it? I just accidentally recieved one in the mail (I was supposed to get a first generation model instead). I am debating whether I should just return it or if I should keep it. I have no experience with this model, and would like some insights on what you all think or thought of it.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Swings and roundabouts. Amped fidelity is pretty good, arguably better than current iPods, but unamped SQ is influenced by a noticeable reduction in bass due to the 'fall-off' and there are a number of codec tics on the 3rd gen iPod... in MP3 certainly, and perhaps with other codecs too. Battery life is not so hot too.

Personally I didn't like the controls that much, although of course it was better than anything else on the market at the time bar the Karma. Liked the actual click wheel of the 4th Gen + a lot better.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 12
I think im going to send it back. Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them! Anyone think its worth keeping for $150?

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 12
I could see the argument that 1g ipod - the original ipod - would be worth that much, for its legendary status and the coolness of mechanical wheel (damn i miss it), but the ipod with the glowing buttons otoh i wouldn't take for anything over $50. I had it for a while and really thought it sucked for aforementioned reasons plus the low responsiveness and counterintuitive behavior of the buttons, including the screwy middle button.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 12
The first iPod with a docking port, and I think the first "agnostic" iPod ... probably better in several ways than my second generation iPod "for Windows," but Apple hadn't put it together yet (insert caustic or highly supportive comments here, LOL).

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 12
I have a 3g 30 gig and it has served me wonderfully. Still working perfectly after several years of continual use. It sounds the same to me through line out as my other iPods.

See ya
Steve

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swings and roundabouts. Amped fidelity is pretty good, arguably better than current iPods, but unamped SQ is influenced by a noticeable reduction in bass due to the 'fall-off' and there are a number of codec tics on the 3rd gen iPod... in MP3 certainly, and perhaps with other codecs too. Battery life is not so hot too.

Personally I didn't like the controls that much, although of course it was better than anything else on the market at the time bar the Karma. Liked the actual click wheel of the 4th Gen + a lot better.

I remember your test of the bass fall off and those kids at I lounge that tried to flame you, and didn't your perform a similar test with the x5 and received a similar effect?

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first iPod with a docking port, and I think the first "agnostic" iPod ... probably better in several ways than my second generation iPod "for Windows,"

The first iPod was "agnostic." It would work with any Mac.
wink.gif

In a 1st v. 3rd, the latter would have a line-out as a plus. Did the buffer work better with lossless files too (1G had significant gaps)? Still wish I still had my 1G though.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember your test of the bass fall off and those kids at I lounge that tried to flame you, and didn't your perform a similar test with the x5 and received a similar effect?

The sequence is a little different.

The 3G iPod's Line Out is flat.
The 3G iPod's headphone out is not flat - it has an audible falloff in bass with low impedance phones.
The X5's Line Out had almost the same falloff (maybe even more) as the 3G iPod's headphone out when the iPod was used with a low-impedance phone. Slightly bizarre.

It looks pretty hideous on the graphs and it is audibly noticeable, but it's a fairly minimal audible difference in the overall scheme of things (the same incidentally can be said for the 3G iPod's headphone falloff). I put the audio comparisons of the X5's headphone out amped and the line out amped on my blog, have no idea whether it's still up yet [size=xx-small](EDIT: Just checked, it's still up. Post of the article in the Amping X5 thread to prevent this from veering more off topic)[/size]. You can hear a difference but as I said on the text, it's up to you whether it's a huge deal or not.

I think many amped X5 users (generally rightly IMO - despite other audio undesirables lurking slightly in the X5/M3's Line Out) decided it wasn't a big deal, which at the time made their decrying of the inferior iPod 'sound quality' fitfully amusing.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 12
ty, and please more qualio and tiny cube pics please.

@op I would try to google search RMAA (Right Mark Audio Analyzer) benchmarks of the 1st gen and second gen and see how ipod the sound looks then it may be worth doing an evaluation with ears.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Im also in this for collectability. for function and everyday use, my 30gb 5.5 video is way more practical. I have a theory that the original ipod will eventually become rare and as this generation ages, will have considerable collectability value to it. I loaded a bunch of music to the 3g ipod...and I think its more fun to use than the new one... I just have to keep the damn hold switch on so that the tracks dont start skipping on me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back