Ipod 160Gb gutless volume
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine recently bought an Ipod 160GB classic and I took it home to put some music on it for him. Anyhow after I did the transfer of the music to the Ipod, as usual I decided to test it, all in all it worked good but I was very shocked and dissapointed about the Vol level/loundess on this thing as it was weak as and gutless, I had to crank the Vol right to max to get a decent hearing level.

I than went into the settings in About section (I think) and there was some thing there witha a combimation lock, there was a Volume limiter setting or something like that, I did try to change it and still no luck, cause every time I tried to change it, it defaulted back to its original position.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 19
you might try menu button and center button at same time for full 30 seconds and it will restore. you should then be able to set higher volume limits

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprkd1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be wrong but non-US iPods have a cap on the volume.

I think your absolutely correct and this rule also applies to Australia.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 19
Like I said previously I did go into some settings which was in the About/Firmware section and there was a setting there to allow to adjust the Vol Limiter in which I did, but after doing so and pressing the Play button it did not work, just came back to normal.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 19
From my experience with a 4GB Ipod Nano (4th gen?)

Once you go to the volume control setting, you set it to the desired level then push the CENTER button, which acts usually as the select.

Let me know if it helps any...

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 19
Hi,

If the lack of volume turns out to be due to the iPod being EU capped, there is no current way of getting around the EU Cap; it's written into the encrypted firmware. To date no one has been able to find a solution, the firmware caps the volume output on EU iPods to a max of 100db.

The volume limiter within the iPod's settings will have no effect, it only allows you to reduce the volume to even further and set a 4 digit password. It's really designed to allow over protective parents from allowing their offspring to listen to their iPods at max volume (100db).

The only way I know of resolving the issue, involves the use of an LOD and AMP, sorry but yet more expense....

Cheers

Mark

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kon-Masti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone finds that link could you post it in this thread. Tried looking but I can't find it.

Good morning fellow Prestonian,

Sorry to disappoint but I believe all past posts regarding the remove of iPod EU volume limit revolve around the use of third party programs such as goPod and the like.

These programs allow you to remove the EU Volume limitation from 3rd, 4th generation iPods, iPod minis and possibly 1st and 2nd gen Nano's.

More recent iPods are shipped with encrypted firmware, which to date no one has been able to hack.

Sorry, but the only way around the issue is to purchase a LOD and AMP.

Cheers

Mark

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 19
It's a small world indeed maporter!

Thanks for responding. Shame the cap can't be circumvented without the use of an Amp/LOD. But, it's bizarre how the iPhones and iPod Touches don't suffer the same cap. They are definitely louder than the Nanos/Classics...

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 19
I have just bought an Ipod 160gb and as mentioned above the volume is stupidly low. I can't find any fixes. I have got an appointment with the Apple shop this afternoon but if they can't fix it I want my money back.

However I am about to sign up for a new Iphone as well and suddenly got worried about whether there is a similar limit being put on Iphones.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance
confused_face.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

If the lack of volume turns out to be due to the iPod being EU capped, there is no current way of getting around the EU Cap; it's written into the encrypted firmware. To date no one has been able to find a solution, the firmware caps the volume output on EU iPods to a max of 100db.

The volume limiter within the iPod's settings will have no effect, it only allows you to reduce the volume to even further and set a 4 digit password. It's really designed to allow over protective parents from allowing their offspring to listen to their iPods at max volume (100db).

The only way I know of resolving the issue, involves the use of an LOD and AMP, sorry but yet more expense....

Cheers

Mark

Ok thanks for the info, but why didnt the EU cap other MP3 players like Zen, Sansa, Samsung, Cowon etc ?

So it must be that the EU cap also must of applied to Ipods coming into Australia.

I heard a rumour that if you iinstall the US firmware it will solve the problem, how true I dont know.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks for the info, but why didnt the EU cap other MP3 players like Zen, Sansa, Samsung, Cowon etc ?

I believe Apple were going taken to court by the French government, as a test case unless they imposed a 100db limit, so to please the French Apple complied.

Apple then took the decision to ship all European iPods with the same firmware limiting the max volume to 100db - Hence why all US iPods are louder.

goPod won't work on a classic, there is however one thing you can try
beyersmile.png

1. Open up iTunes
2. Right click on an album or a track and open up 'get info'
3. On the forth tab entitled 'options' you notice a slider called 'volume adjustment'
4. From here you can increase the volume of either the track or album by moving the slider.

Once adjusted you should notice the tracks / albums will sound louder when played back on the iPod - Don't ask me how this works, because I'm not 100% sure; neither do I know what effect it'll have on the SQ. I'm guessing it works in a similar way to ReplayGain or MP3Gain. See: Replay Gain - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back