iPod 160 Classic Skipping/Blanking playback problem
Jan 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5th gens could also have this problem with ALAC files. Definitely a buffer issue with the larger size of lossless files. Doing a restore which formats the drive in the process eliminated the problem when I had my 5G iPod. Syncing to a defragged disk seems to do the trick.

Just defragged my library drive so I will try restore and sync. But my 4G Photo didn't have this problem until about 2 weeks before its hard drive failed.
confused.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 43
This issue happends to me too. Most of my files are ripped using lossless codec. The black out stays for about 2-3 seconds and didn't forward the song. It returns in the exact position as it went away. I was wondering if this is a problem with only lossless files ... ?

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 43
I also have this same problem, and it is only present on the new Classic with lossless files. It is also present when using the Alpine ida-X001 via USB, and it didn't happen with the iPod Video which had the same files.

It seems it is because of the buffer indeed, since they added so much bells & whistles to the interface, it eats up more of the RAM available.. and the buffer suffers because of this.

I've searched around the net and several forums report this same issue. I tried finding a way to complain in apple's page, but only found this thread at their forums. maybe we should report teh incidence of this matter to bring it to their attention:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Classic Random Pauses and Gaps ...

You need to register on their site, no email confirmation necessary, so it is fast.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 43
Hows everyone going with this? It seems it only happens when im using the dock, which is strange if it's a buffer issue.

I think Apple needs to know this isnt acceptable. Maybe if we all e-mail jobs he'll take note?

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #20 of 43
I have the same problem with my Ipod vidéo 5G and ALAC files.
it's seem to be an buffer problem.
It's not often, so i do with, but it' s not normal.
Essentialy with propriatory codec !

Apple is'nt Newton.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by virtuoso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think media with higher bit rates have this problem..
what is the format of the songs which have you have ripped?

Yeh it is the format. I rip in AIFF.

I just don't think it's acceptable that you have an option to use a format which the iPod can't handle.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 43
I think it's silly to expect an iPod to perform like a home computer. Use the AIFF files for backup and use a high bitrate AAC file on the iPod. It'll work a lot better.

See ya
Steve

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's silly to expect an iPod to perform like a home computer. Use the AIFF files for backup and use a high bitrate AAC file on the iPod. It'll work a lot better.

See ya
Steve

That would be teh question if the iPod Video (previous model) couldn't handle it either... But teh could without a problem, never skipping.

I am updating to teh new 1.1 firmware, hopping that it fixes this problem.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by geenisse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should not be a problem using AIFF. About all of my music is in AIFF and it plays perfect on my 160gb classic.

Out of the headphone jack or the line out? The problem seems only to be out of the line out.

I might call apple, my classic is still under warranty. But im thinking even if they went to the stage of giving me a new one (unlikely!) it would have the same problem.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #27 of 43
I'm also experiencing a similar problem with the pausing. However mine is pausing then skipping every other song. My 5gen iPod doesnt do that with mp3's upto 320K, but it does with ALAC files. but what's really weird is that it's fine with the WAV files. Plus when playing the ALAC files, the iPod makes a lot of clicking noise, then it skips; is this bad?

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #29 of 43
Just tested firmware 1.1.1 released today. Still not fixing this. I experienced it 4 times in just around 10 songs.

Again I believe we should all report this problem in their forums, it seems that this latest update corrected the hiss problem several users here on Head-Fi reported (and went mainstream).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back