iPod 160 Classic Skipping/Blanking playback problem
Jan 1, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

la_marquise

100+ Head-Fier
Haven't been by the forums in a ***long*** time and so many new goodies!

Quick question: Is anybody else having a playback problem with their iPod Classic 160 gb?

Mine will play a song, and then all of a sudden have a 10-15sec stoppage before loading the rest of the song. This happens with music files ripped from new cds, podcasts and other media as well, so it can't be an isolated file issue.

I've kept firmware up to date and am using lossless files.

Please help!

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 43
Hey deadfolx, slightly OT, but how do you think the SQ of the Classic compares to the SQ of the Nano?

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 43
My 160GB Classic have similar symptom la_marquise described.
I thought it's a safety feature to let our ears rest for couple of second every one hour.

Mine is less than 3 seconds, and no skipping, only blank playback once every about one hour.

All songs are ripped from CD in lossless format. I usually played them in shuffle mode. Firmware: 1.03

mrdeadfolx,
Did you play your music more than one hour and never had this problem?

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayinhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey deadfolx, slightly OT, but how do you think the SQ of the Classic compares to the SQ of the Nano?

I think the SQ of the Classic stacks up just fine to the SQ of the Nano. I hear no glaring weaknesses in either of them, and to my ears they sound almost identical out of the HP out.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buitenzorger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

mrdeadfolx,
Did you play your music more than one hour and never had this problem?

Yes, I will sometimes play music for 4-5 hours straight, and have not yet encountered this kind of problem. Mind you, only select music in my library is ripped in lossless, and the rest is in 256-320 kbps.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 43
Over the recent xmas holidays, I probably played my 160gig classic 30 or more hours. One day, I played it nearly continuously for close of 10 hours. I have no lossless and had no blank playback issues.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buitenzorger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it's a safety feature to let our ears rest for couple of second every one hour.

Priceless! Somebody should add this to the iPod manual..new selling feature "Random, automatic pauses in music playback reduces listener fatigue and prolongs enjoyment of media."

Jokes aside, I didn't have this problem with the 80gb Classic that I had briefly (3 weeks) prior to upgrading when Best Buy had a sale. And it seems like only some units have problems. Is it possible to have a unit with bad drive sectors?

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 43
It is a buffer problem. The losless files are much larger than lossy files thus it takes up more buffer. I have the problem once and a while but more often when I use random play than with straight play.

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 43
Mine 80gb classic is full with lossless files too. No problems so far while long-time shuffle playback
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 43
I noticed something like this on my 160Gb Classic yesterday. Im still to do a little testing to see where the problem lies, and if its a dock issue (in the iPod) or headphone, or both, or ripping etc etc.

The pauses only last a few seconds, but are annoying to say the least!

Jan 3, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should mention this only happens to me when I am walking!

When I am sitting still listening to lossless, it's fine!

Then it makes sense that it's a shock issue with the hard drive. Do iPods have any kind of feature on the hard drive that parks the heads if too much motion is detected (the laptop I'm typing this on has such a feature)? If so, you might be activating it. If not, you might be causing it to skip. Try changing how you carry it to see if that makes any difference.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 43
The 5th gens could also have this problem with ALAC files. Definitely a buffer issue with the larger size of lossless files. Doing a restore which formats the drive in the process eliminated the problem when I had my 5G iPod. Syncing to a defragged disk seems to do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back