iPod 15 GB for $28 more than Mini
Mar 3, 2004 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bjjp2

100+ Head-Fier
Just noticed Amazon has 15 GB iPod for $277.24 (that's a price drop, isn't it?) and Mini for $249. The Mini's are adorable, but how can anyone justify not spending $28 to get 11 more gigs (nearly 300% capacity)? Yes, I know they're comparing them to flash players, but $28 for 11 GB's? Come on!

Mar 3, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 11
and you can make the similar comparison concerning regular ipod vs zen. Personally, I find the ipod mini horrible in terms of aesthetics, zen is equally bad, but it is also much bigger.

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 11
It all depends on how much you're willing to pay for a size reduction.

The smaller price difference just makes it more convincing to many people to get the regular iPod instead of the mini.

Personally... I would only have to change music every month or so with 4 gigs (probably every 4 months, but whatever) and that would probably be what I would want to pay for... but even I can not resist 11extra gigs for $28.

Mar 3, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 11
I found a coupon at apple.com for 10% off $299+ which was enough to make me buy. I love the iPod. The hardware is excellent and the software is excellent. I don't have anything to compare with, but I'm very happy.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 11
you should've used the student $30 off also.
biggrin.gif
Or whatever that deal was. 15 gigger for less than a mini. Not bad.

Mar 3, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by funnytimes
and you can make the similar comparison concerning regular ipod vs zen. Personally, I find the ipod mini horrible in terms of aesthetics, zen is equally bad, but it is also much bigger.

Eh? "horrible"? Just curious as to what you specifically find "horrible" about it.

br0adband

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I think someone could very well justify going for the 4gb if, - just imagine! - they had 4gb or less of music. A random 4gb selection of my mp3 library (192kbps) yields 799 songs - 67 full albums (if you take an album to typically be 12 tracks), which is around as many "physical" albums as I, for example, own and I expect more than most casual music-fans have. Combined with the smaller size and weight, design which will certainly be more appealing to some people. and the inclusion of the dock and USB 2 cable (15 gb doesn't have these does it?), I think there is far more between the two models than just the capacity.

Ignoring the fact that personally I think the mini is really bloody ugly.

edit: for broadband's benefit, my feeling on the mini is: very dodgy proportions (spaces between the wheel and the screen and sides for eg), combination of curved and square edges, minging colours (I'm sure they will appeal to some people, but not me), and a basic design concept which is essentially the iPod reformatted/rescaled to suit a substantially different device, and not in a complimentary way. It just doesn't seem to fit anywhere in Apple's design regimen.

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 11
15GB is not enought for a hardcore music listener (like me) and is too much for a casual one (my mom).
the mini is a clever product.

the ipods transfer rates are really good and a mini hold enought albums for listening for a week. i think the mini is a really good choice if you dont need to browse your entire music library.
i am a happy user of a 15GB Ipod

Mar 3, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Achtunghoy
you should've used the student $30 off also.
biggrin.gif
Or whatever that deal was. 15 gigger for less than a mini. Not bad.

Usually you can't combine two separate offers to get a larger amount off....it's one or the other.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
I think someone could very well justify going for the 4gb if, - just imagine! - they had 4gb or less of music. A random 4gb selection of my mp3 library (192kbps) yields 799 songs - 67 full albums (if you take an album to typically be 12 tracks), which is around as many "physical" albums as I, for example, own and I expect more than most casual music-fans have. Combined with the smaller size and weight, design which will certainly be more appealing to some people. and the inclusion of the dock and USB 2 cable (15 gb doesn't have these does it?), I think there is far more between the two models than just the capacity.

Still don't get it. Even if you currently have less than 4GB of music, the extra 11GB capacity is essentially being given to you for free.

Also, FYI, the Mini does *not* come with a dock.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bjjp2
Still don't get it. Even if you currently have less than 4GB of music, the extra 11GB capacity is essentially being given to you for free.

Also, FYI, the Mini does *not* come with a dock.

Even if it was for free, it does come with a bigger bulk and weight. In the end the Mini isn't for people with a large collection of music they still listen to that really want to have all/most of their music with them. It's mainly for people that are in the market for a flashplayer but wouldn't mind the size of the Mini if they can have 4GB (well actually 3.7GB) to go with it. I mean to go from say 256MB to 3.7GB is a huge step up for potential buyers/previous owners of flashplayers. For my needs I would never get a HD-player below 15GB, but then again I don't understand the way a lot of people buy albums and only listen to them while they're still popular either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back